FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I drilled the pin out of the barrel , was turning the barrel with a wrench for removal. I guess the pin was not drilled completely. I had the receiver clamped on the bench vise . Ended up putting too much torque , that the barrel sleeve twisted and gouged the receiver. Did take the barrel out though. The receiver is registered as a SBR.

Does anyone know who can fix the gouge ? Kinda pissed at myself for doing it.

thanks

·
Administrator
12,117 Posts
Jayken said:
Hi Guys,
I drilled the pin out of the barrel , was turning the barrel with a wrench for removal. I guess the pin was not drilled completely. I had the receiver clamped on the bench vise . Ended up putting too much torque , that the barrel sleeve twisted and gouged the receiver. Did take the barrel out though. The receiver is registered as a SBR.

Does anyone know who can fix the gouge ? Kinda pissed at myself for doing it.

thanks
I would be more concerned about having possibly twisted the receiver when you over-torqued it to remove the barrel. You need to do an extensive examination of the receiver to make sure that is was not twisted while in the vise.

As for the gouge:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...628?srccode=cii_28503622&cpncode=23-8670340-2

Good luck.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
I also attempted to drill my own pin out to go SBR. Lets just say it was not successful after about 2 hours. I didn't want to damage the rifle, so in angst I got out my electric saw with a metal bladed and HACKED THAT SUCKER OFF.

Best decision I made was hacking that off. I should have done that after 15 minutes of drilling. Oh well. I guess I can say that I did in fact re-manufacture the rifle just like my SBR paperwork says.

I do have a suggestion though. Velcro does wonders with that sort of thing and actually looks surprisingly natural. The fuzzy side of adhesive velcro I mean now, not the hooks side.

If you carefully shape a piece just right you can draw an eye away from the imperfection if not cover it up entirely. You know that flat surface on the front of the reciver, make a piece of velcro for over that spot that extends downward slightly....covering most of the imperfection.

Shiny metal parts that no longer have the black coating... a sharpie works very well to dull those areas. That trick works well on black AR-15s that get all kinds of nicks in them.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
HEre is an example:

That is fuzzy velcro so I can move the light/laser pressure switch to the other side for any lefties I may take to the range for shooting fun. The stuff sticks like glue as long as you don't get the cheap stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts