FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this question elsewhere with no luck, so here it goes for you guys! I have a few FN HP-DA pistols that are evidently the third and most recent variation of the double action Hi Power (I know, they're not true HI Powers). In my research, I have seen that the first variations were modified GP35 frame guns and there is a chapter dedicated to the series in the Collector Grade Hi Power book, but there are no pictures of the early magazine. While cruising the National Gun Day Show in Louisville, KY at the beginning of the year, I came across a table of magazines that had a bargain box. Being the cheap kinda guy that I am, I started digging. Low and behold, there were two pistol mags in there with the dual half moon cut outs common on the HP-DA and the Browning BDM, but they had flat metal floor plates and the characteristic FN three witness holes on the back. So, I bought them. Once home to Reno, I compared them with my HP-DA mags and the bodies are a match. These mags actually lock into the gun as well, but are swallowed by the bottom of the wrap around plastic grips because of the flat metal floor plate. The witness holes are in the same spots as the HP-DA mags and these new ones are a 14 round capacity as well. My question is; Does anyone have one of the first or second generation double action Hi Power pistols that they could verify the magazines for me? Specifically, are these mags for the first generation double action that was made on a modified GP35 frame?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have posted this question elsewhere with no luck, so here it goes for you guys! I have a few FN HP-DA pistols that are evidently the third and most recent variation of the double action Hi Power (I know, they're not true HI Powers). In my research, I have seen that the first variations were modified GP35 frame guns and there is a chapter dedicated to the series in the Collector Grade Hi Power book, but there are no pictures of the early magazine. While cruising the National Gun Day Show in Louisville, KY at the beginning of the year, I came across a table of magazines that had a bargain box. Being the cheap kinda guy that I am, I started digging. Low and behold, there were two pistol mags in there with the dual half moon cut outs common on the HP-DA and the Browning BDM, but they had flat metal floor plates and the characteristic FN three witness holes on the back. So, I bought them. Once home to Reno, I compared them with my HP-DA mags and the bodies are a match. These mags actually lock into the gun as well, but are swallowed by the bottom of the wrap around plastic grips because of the flat metal floor plate. The witness holes are in the same spots as the HP-DA mags and these new ones are a 14 round capacity as well. My question is; Does anyone have one of the first or second generation double action Hi Power pistols that they could verify the magazines for me? Specifically, are these mags for the first generation double action that was made on a modified GP35 frame?

Thanks in advance.
Well, I'll try to help as I have several of these guns including two rare Compacts. From my experience, the FN HP-DA/DAO 15 round mags will fit the Browning BDM but NOT the Browning BDAO-9 which takes a 14 round mag that only fits a Hi-Power (but a Hi-Power mag will not fit it). Don't ask me about FN Herstal's reasoning about this. My FN HP-DAO is not the same gun as the Browning BDAO-9 though both were made at FN Herstal and they look exactly alike except for a second little protruding nub on the right side under the ejection port of the FN HP-DAO. I'm selling the Browning BDAO-9 on Gunsamerica right now because I don't want one with mags that don't interchange. I like them though and wish FN Herstal had been a little more adept at marketing because they could have gone over with law enforcment. They made them in two differnent periods. Only Finland uses them today- and they're probably the only entity that probably can get replacement parts. We expect more than this from a world class armanents maker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
genstab, Thank you for the response. I have four of the same pistols myself. A HP-DA, HP-DAO, HP-DAC, and one marked MKIII instead of HP-DA. I have 14 round and 15 round mags that all interchange. The mags in question have metal floor plates instead of the plastic and do not have the extra notch in the half moon for the Hi Power. Those are the ones I am trying to track down information on. It is my understanding that the first double actions were made on modified GP 35 frames (thus necessitating the narrowing of the top of the mag to clear the trigger transfer bar). But I have not found anything out there about them. Were any imported and if so, does anyone out there have one?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts