FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a not so great condition knife but was my papa's he carried it in the marines his entire career. He fought in WW2, Korean war, and 2 tours of Vietnam. Very special to me, and on the back side he engraved his name and service dates. He was obsessed with putting his name on all his stuff

Attachments

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more of papa's knives one is a puma my grandma bought him while visiting Germany during retirement. the other is one made by a knife maker that use to live around here. it has a small chip in the blade not sure how that happened. small sample of his knives I inherited some years ago. He really loved collecting knives

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I inherited a lot of blades from my gramps as well. He was born as a sharecropper and became successful later in life. I'll never forget how he would carve a raw onion with his pocket knife and eat it, he also cut his fingernails with a pocketknife. At 98 years old he was still the toughest man I'd ever met.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pop's use to sharpen all the knives for a sandwich shop and a Chinese restaurant in town for trade. We ate a TON of sandwich's and lo mein lol

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Very cool. Unfortunately don't have any inherited knives. I have a sword my grandfather brought back from WWII when he was in the Philippines and a few weeks on Japan.

My dad doesn't have any 'nice' knives. He gets the cheapest blades he can and doesn't take care of them, so they're all a bunch of rust now. I tried to save a couple, but they're going to need some serious grinding (and I'll need to get the proper tools to fix them up, which may not be worth it)

Reactions: sldcountry

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
What a great heirloom to have! Thanks for sharing:?

·
Registered
19 Posts
An older family friend gave me his Ka-bar he had on Guadalcanal. He was shot in the neck but he guy who did it didn't make it. He brought back an Arisaka rifle and bayonet.

·
Registered
421 Posts
FNP & sld,

Thanks for sharing. My Papa has been gone a while but your stories bring back many memories. As t he only grandchild I ended up with a bunch of neat things but my favorite is his old barlow pocket knife. I have many fond memories of him with that knife. Anything from cutting fruit & veggies to cleaning and cutting his fingernails LOL.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a small pin/ribbon swastika papa brought home from the war. Hmmmm wonder if he used the knife to commander it? Like I say if only these knives could talk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts