FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a solid 2 hours of work I present the latest tacticool attachment for your rifle:The iPhone Picatinny Rail Mount (iPRM?).
Crafted from a Magpul iPhone case, a cut down rail riser, strips of alluminum leftover from an engineering lab,
JB weld (because I don't have a proper welding machine), rivets, and the will of a madman.

The "pretty" side.

The "clusterf#@$" side.

Case is attached to aluminum strips with rivets because the adhesive wouldn't stay bonded to
the polymer case.

Close up up various strips cut/bent/riveted/"welded" together.

View from iPhone camera.

Also here is a clip of me testing the alpha version that I messed up by somehow having it turned a bit away from the gun
so you don't see much of the barrel. 3rd shot hits a small Star Targets exploding target at 75 yards that was a little underwhelming,
shots 5-last are at an empty (already holed and vented from a traffic accident) propane tank at about 100 yards.

As to why I made this? Mostly because I could and it was a nice little project to work on in between studying for finals. But its a cheap way to get a
camera on the gun (in place of buying a purpose-built camera gun), and it may be possible to design an app that could put a set of cross-hairs on the
camera screen but that's above me at the moment.
Eventually I would like to smooth it out a bit and paint it tan but its completely functional now.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
That's too funny HK. :-D

Reactions: STL

·
Registered
404 Posts
Aw man that's awesome. I don't have a iPhone but could you make me one for my iPad? :-D

Reactions: hyperdog and STL

·
Registered
644 Posts
Not a fan of things iphone or ipad related but have to admit that is really cool! You will have to post more pics once it's polished and painted.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duct tape was heavily involved in the first version. It ended about like you would expect.

I saw the mount from KAC awhile back, but it wasn't available for purchase.

An iPad is so big, its more like attaching the gun to the iPad than attaching the iPad to the gun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If an iPad is involved, it needs to be as a remote control where the tilt and rotate moved the weapon, the zoom in and out controls the optics and a big red button in the middle of the screen sends a round down range!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts