FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the opener of duck and regular goose season here. We were hunting a partially flooded soy bean field on the biggest river in the area (plus it's only a mile and a half from my house). Shooting hours started at 7:20. By 7:35, we had 6 wood ducks in the bag between three shooters. The ducks were on top of us in no time and came in a steady stream with a final flock of about 25 to 30 (which came in even though the dog was running around). Later, we added one more woody. The geese were also flying good and we were able to call in a group of three, which we took 2 out of (but should have had all three; I should have gotten 2 of them but missed my first 2 shots somehow). Most of the geese flying were pretty high and appeared to be returning from feeding elsewhere, but we were abe to get several groups to look, but we only had 4 goose decoys out (our main game was duck this morning). Unfortunately, the mallards are not down yet. We only saw woodies.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Dang nice morning! Enjoy the vittles.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will. I'm planning on heading out Tuesday morning for an hour or so before school starts. Hopefully I'll have some more luck.

Can't wait for the mallards to come down though. I enjoy those a bit more. I'm able to work them in and watch them circle and finally get them cupped and commited (like we did with the geese). I think it'll be 2 weeks before the mallards arrive though. It was 80 here today, which is very unusual. Its normally low 50's by now, but its coming at the end of the week. Hopefully the cool weather pushes the ducks our way.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the same spot this morning. I got 1 drake woody. The large puddle has dried up and there was mainly mud.

We were targeting geese anyway. We had about 35 decoys (super mags, magnums and regular) in the mud even though there was cut beans and the farmer had planted winter wheat on the other side of the ditch we were sitting in.

Anyway, there were only to shooters today (my friend was out bow-hunting). We limited out (2 per hunter). We called in so many geese, it was unbelievable. It was in the low 40's and really foggy-maybe 50-75 yds of view initially and out to about 150yds by 9:30 when we left. We probably had 300-350 geese in all come to the field and there were still groups of about 8 coming when we left. We had five or six groups in the 30+ range, the biggest being about 60. It was a blast!

Only thing is, I almost ran out of ammo for geese. My last shot was my limit (I had 9 shells for geese). I also realized (with insight from my dad) that I should shoot at them further out to let the pattern spread out. All of the geese I shot at were right on top of us for the most part, and I missed several. Also, 3 1/2 inch shells hurt when shooting almost straight up and you don't get anything :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts