FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just ordered 500 rounds of Greek surplus from CTD for a great deal 500 for $240, so just under .50 per round. I couldn't find a whole lot of information on them, but other than being 40 years old supposed to be grade A. Can anyone provide a review.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I was unaware I was opening such a controversial can of worms here, but reguardless of where I bought this ammo from, can anyone give any insight on how the ammo performs?

·
Registered
418 Posts
They earned it.
I will never shop at CTD ever again. Their conduct after the sandy hook school shooting finally did it for me. They started serious price gouging (they didn't yank gun sales but they held back just long enough to sell them at 5 times the price while other companies keep their prices the same. My biggest complaint is that they cancelled existing orders and lied to their customers saying a gun was out of stock, only to turn around and put the exact same gun up at 5 times the price.), add that to alot of customer service issues, I refuse to do business with them and choose to take my business elsewhere.

If you want good M2 surplus ammo buy from the CMP!

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/ammo-parts-accessories/

Prices are very reasonable and the ammo is boxer primed, non-corrosive, and reloadable. It’s really not that hard to get approved to purchase through the CMP.

30.06HXP 240 rds per can - $178.00 (20RD per box in spam can)
30-06 HXP200 RDS PER Can - $136.00 (200 RDS loose in .30 cal can)

They sell .308 WIN Ammo as well!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input, and I agree, after Sandy Hook I did not spend a dime there for over a year, but since all the prices were back where they belong, I just order there out of convenience because when I'm building ARs they always have what I want in stock. But the one thing I do hate is their shipping, it's outrageous especially if you order from different warehouses.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I remember a can of Russian 54r was $189 at CTD after Sandy Hook.

I don't shop at CTD, not because of what they did but rather than their prices are usually horrible. If I came across a decent or good deal at CTD then I would feverishly scour the internet for a better or just as good deal so that I would not send any money to CTD. Tax alone usually kills CTD here in Texas.

To the OP, not that it matters now since you already ordered it but $.48 a round for 40 year old ammo with some tarnish, surface corrosion, discoloration, and pitting DOES NOT SEEM LIKE A BARGAIN. I would rather buy some newly manufactured PMC or Prvi Partizan. Good news is that I believe Greek Surplus ammo is GTG. Greek 8MM from days past was good stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PMC bronze is my first choice but it was .64 cents a round, and from what I can tell it's good ammo. If you guys are finding it cheaper I'd appreciate another source other than CTD

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
How can $0.50/rd is cheap for surplus ammo? I can spend the same money getting new NATO Spec ammo from Wally World's ZQI Turkish made ammo

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
M80 is only .60/round at my LGS, and .50c on sale. Hook up with a local dealer and have him call you with ammo sales, they love to do that so you can spend more money in their store. Or join Sportmansguide, they routinely have sales on PPU and PMC for 60c/round. **** CTD, I almost bit on that 5.7 sale last week for .21/round, guess what -out of stock. If you want to go cheap, shoot that steel wolf ammo, .25c/round. It's dirty, but doesn't jam. Doesn't have that laquer on the cases like the old Korean stuff used to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've run a couple of sealed cans of Greek surplus 30-06 in my M1. It is good ammunition. It is old, and some of the cartridges show it, but all are serviceable. The ammunition is definitely full pressure. Some of the people here use the Greek surplus in their M1s for C&R High Power/Service Rifle matches, and it shoots pretty darned well, for almost-half-century-old mil-surp. :)

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
Since this was posted in the 17s section before it was moved I don't think he's asking about 30-06.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts