FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just found this place as I started my search for my one gun to fulfill my wants and needs. Yeah right, I know, one never does it. Anyway I am here in North Idaho, been tossing around the need to sell my new .270 that I bought for deer, and master a single gun for what I want, a black rifle for deer and elk hunting. I plan to recreationally shoot from time to time but moreso have a modern battle rifle capable of taking elk as well as deer.

Initially I was thinking a .308 AR platform, but the more I see, touch and feel the SCAR 17s, I get all giddy with excitement and am finding the price point not THAT big of a deal if I plan it right, my theory is Cry Once when purchasing something like this. So I joined here to get help in finding deals, advice on what to buy and where, since locally they are overpriced. I look forward to meeting you.

·
Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Glad you found us. Plenty of good info here on the SCAR platform. Check with some of our vendor sponsors like strykerent.com for a good deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I am pretty much dead set on the 17s now, been doing a lot of research. Oh the agony of the wait. Anyone hunt much with theirs? Been eyeballing a Trijicon Accupoint scope for it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Welcome Northern. Great group here...

I'd say the SCAR is not for everyone, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better all-around package. If you end up contracting the disease many of us have succumbed to, it will drain your wallet, but as my mom used to say, it's only money... :biggrin:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome to one of the best group of guys you'd ever want to talk "guns" with.

I read that you are planning on elk hunting with this 17? I have to ask if you've ever killed a bull elk with a 308 Win. before? I say this because you are at the bare threshold of power level for an animal of that stature. It can be done for sure, and with even less bullet diam. and power level but, I would give serious consideration on a more "potent" round for an animal that deserves to be put down quickly and humanly as possible. (I say this from hunting all over the world for decades - a large North American herd bull can take a lick'n, and then some. They are tougher that most Kudu and Sable bulls and that's saying something. They are a stately and proud animal that deserve your best effort for a quick clean kill.)
I hope and pray you have many successful days afield that come with it great memories and full freezers at home! Good hunting to you and again - WELCOME to the Forum!! :)

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi lefthand, yep been hunting elk with a .270 all my life. .308 is no problem here in the mountains. The majority of my shots are inside of 200 yards for most whitetail and bull elk so I have never had a problem with placement or humane kills. I really don't take shots at animals on the run, rather wait to get them in close. I appreciate the feedback though. Always good to hear another's thoughts on any topic, which is why I am here.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! This is definitely the best place for info and advice. You can't buy this kind of knowledge, it's a treasure chest of information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts