FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just filed my form 1 for the 13" barrel assembly for the 17s. I've been looking at what muzzle attachment and suppressor to go w/. The griffin rtsa w/ otb mount has me interested. Anyone use this setup on their 17s? Pros? Cons?
I'm pretty noob to this so any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What's the length between the end of your barrel and the gas block. The cool thing about the set up you are asking about is that the mount goes over the barrel a certain amount and then the can goes over that. The griffen can has an over all length of 9.5" and adds 5.4" so it goes over your barrel about 4". I know on a 10" 5.56 barrel the gas block is literally right behind the flash hider. You need to make sure you have enough space for everything. Reflex cans are very nice. I have a couple but they are the Spikes Cans. MRS-2 and LRS-2.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the length between the end of your barrel and the gas block. The cool thing about the set up you are asking about is that the mount goes over the barrel a certain amount and then the can goes over that. The griffen can has an over all length of 9.5" and adds 5.4" so it goes over your barrel about 4". I know on a 10" 5.56 barrel the gas block is literally right behind the flash hider. You need to make sure you have enough space for everything. Reflex cans are very nice. I have a couple but they are the Spikes Cans. MRS-2 and LRS-2.
Thanks for the dimensions, this is very helpful and I look to go in this direction if the space will be available. Maybe someone will come along that has a 13" assembly and comment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I subtracted the three inches off my 16" assembly, and it looks like I will have roughly 4 1/3 inches. I know silencer shop lists the griffin otb mount as compatible w/ the 17s, but I wonder if it requires a shim kit?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Sorry I was out of town. Yes the RSTA will work on a 17s. The shims will work also but it is a real pain to deal with. If I was doing it I would get the flash hider and not the brake just to save the trouble. As far as the 13" barrel is concerned then you need to make sure that you have about 4" of barrel. One of the benefits of this silencer is less blowback and backpressure and it allows you to run a longer silencer without adding more to the end of the barrel.
Tree Plant Metal

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I was out of town. Yes the RSTA will work on a 17s. The shims will work also but it is a real pain to deal with. If I was doing it I would get the flash hider and not the brake just to save the trouble. As far as the 13" barrel is concerned then you need to make sure that you have about 4" of barrel. One of the benefits of this silencer is less blowback and backpressure and it allows you to run a longer silencer without adding more to the end of the barrel.
Thanks Jeremy, exactly what I needed to know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts