FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experimenting with my grip on the FNX. I was always taught to place my right thumb on top of the safety on my 1911. I find this very uncomfortable with the FNX; and because the safety is also a decocker perhaps a thumb on top is not the best practice.
Placing my thumb under the safety makes a thumbs forward grip, which I use, a bit awkward.
So how do you guys grip this pistol?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, the short version of the story is that I grip the FNX (9 or 45) the same way that I grip most every other pistol I shoot. Right hand, thumbs forward. On my 1911, that puts the strong hand thumb on top of the safety. On my Berettas, it puts the strong hand thumb under the safety. On my FNXs, my strong hand thumb rides lightly along side the safety. After a few hundred rounds, it felt natural. So natural, in fact, that I had to get my FNX out of the safe and look at my grip to make sure where the thumb was.
Good luck. The FNX is an extremely fun and accurate pistol. I hope you find a grip you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Thumbs forward, thumbs under the safety. My hands aren't huge, so maybe that helps, but they my right hand thumb is a bit lower than what I use with my 1911 (thumb on top)

Reactions: Aikimike
1 - 4 of 4 Posts