FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My longslides have smoothed out enough to where it isn't too bad really, but the process looks simple and basic enough to give it a try. I'm diggin on blabolat's Apex trigger in the vid above. I have an Apex in a 2.0 Smith I have, and it's a must have for the Smith. I think the Apex in the FN's would be an upgrade, but as long as there's no grit - or very little - I'm satisfied enough with FN's EOM trigger.
I'm fond of being able to see if the pistol is cocked or not by just looking and seeing if the trigger is in the foreward or rearward position. A plus for the Apex is, the trigger doesn't move back as far when being pulled. That's a big plus for those of us with long fingers. Trigger reach always plays a factor in my handgun purchases.

·
Vendor
1,897 Posts
I doubt this fix applies broadly. I can see that an out of spec trigger or barrel could cause these two surfaces to touch and drag, but I simply cannot conceive a situation where FN would intentionally design the trigger and barrel surfaces to touch. His 'fix' is certainly minor enough that I do not see harm in it, but I would not count on it. I'm curious if there is an FN person on this forum - should those surfaces be touching?

I found two or three surfaces that definitely rub and cause a gritty feeling. THe first is the top/rear of the striker against the inside of the channel in the slide. The slide channel is drilled, and drills leave little circumferential tooling marks. When the sear puts pressure on the 'tail' of the striker, it causes the striker to try and tip forward, so the top rear of the striker slides across these ridges. This is why I added the teflon bearing surface to my striker.

The second was surprisingly the linkage between the trigger and the lower. I think these linkages bow out slightly, so apply outward pressure against the molded plastic part. Not much pressure. Enough to feel, but low enough that application of a layer of high viscosity grease smoothes it. The third was the safety mechanism of the trigger dragging on the frame, especially during reset. Again, grease fixed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just looked at mine, the barrel lug doesnt seem sharp at all on mine, but there is a BIG difference in trigger feel with the slide off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just looked at mine, the barrel lug doesnt seem sharp at all on mine, but there is a BIG difference in trigger feel with the slide off.
Well that's what the guy on the video said, which made him think that there was something grinding it. Me, basically just got some 1600 grit paper and smoothed it all out and applied some grease. it's hard to tell how much it made a difference, but you can hear the results in my video. That said, maybe it's still gritty as hell but, it sure feels a lot better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts