FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Changes are in the works when it comes to how Kroger stores handle their security.

The grocery chain has confirmed with 10TV that it is in the process of transitioning to unarmed security guards across the company.

Kroger says that armed guards will remain in some locations but not in any of its Columbus area stores.
10TV obtained a letter that U.S. Protection Service, the company that provides security guards to Kroger, sent to its employees.

The security company says in the letter that effective March 29, its guards will be “completely unarmed--no weapons, no handcuffs, no chemical repellant, no baton, etc."
U.S. Protection Service adds in the letter that "this is very disheartening to us."
Kroger customers that 10TV spoke with say they are going to reconsider their shopping habits with the security guards being unarmed.

"I would come during the day when people could see me. No more at night time," said Columbus resident Lakashia Shavers. "You need arms because who's to say? I mean, the security guard might get killed."
Another shopper, Dennis Jacocks, said he will consider shopping at another Kroger that he thinks is in a safer area than the Kroger at E. Main St. and Alum Creek Blvd. where he normally shops.
"You can believe that the criminals got guns so I would feel better in a more upscale neighborhood,” Jacocks said.

Kroger has responded with the following statement:

“The safety and security of our associates and customers is our top priority. We provide every store with security based on rigorous security assessments we conduct regularly for each individual location. We utilize a variety of security measures, including undercover personnel as well as uniformed security officers, plus cutting edge technologies. For obvious reasons, our policy is not to disclose specific details about our security efforts, either company-wide or at the individual store level.”

Kroger has also said that this is not a cost-saving measure as they will continue to pay for guards to be in the stores.

10TV tried to find out how other grocery chains in central Ohio deploy security personnel within their stores.
Giant Eagle offered the following statement:
“Giant Eagle utilizes the services of uniformed, off duty police personnel at its central Ohio locations to ensure that customers have a safe and pleasant shopping experience. As is common practice, these uniformed officers are armed.”

Meijer says it does not publicly discuss its security procedures.

Target issued the following statement:
"Our assets protection team members are trained for numerous emergency situations, including working with law enforcement, as part of their response protocol. Their role is to maintain a safe shopping environment, protect against theft and monitor suspicious activity; however, they are not there to replace the role of law enforcement."

Wal-Mart has not yet responded at the time this story was posted

More: Grocery Giant Kroger Moves To Disarm Security Guards | WBNS-10TV Columbus, Ohio

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Another reason to carry.

I suspect this denial is their real reason:
Well they may well be telling the truth without saying it. Most if not all security companies require CLEET certification for a guard to carry. This means they can charge more for their services. You can hire anybody off the street to be an unarmed guard. Maybe they'll hire 300+ pounders that can throw their body on the BGs and smother them to death.:lol:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Armed Security is a good concept, but I frequent the Courthouse for job related matters, and I know A Security Guard girl that works there that has fired a gun only once...to qualify. I inquired a bit about her new job position, said she shot a 40 something, didn't know the brand of pistol. Saw her pistol, informed her is was a .40 cal glock. She's a nice pleasant person, but has no business being in charge of my safety. Firearms aren't allowed in the Courthouse, and this is what is hired for my protection. I find most Security, armed or unarmed, incapable of protecting anyone. Granted, there job is to observe, take notes, and call authorities, but basically they serve as a visual deterrent. There are enough Marshalls and Cops around to respond to emergencies there, but I'm telling you...some of them Marshalls (aka Bailiffs) aren't much better. And don't you just love the Security Guards that have that wanna be cop mentality...omg. I don't trust anyone with my safety except me. Police Officer's receive extensive training and are more carefully picked for the job at hand.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Fortunately no Kroger's left in my area. May they all go under...Kroger's that is.

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For what ever reason, (and some of us know) generally the worst law enforcement officers are assigned jail and court security positions.

I'm not surprised Canyon Man...

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
If a guard has no means to protect anything, it's not much of a guard at all. Might as well change the job title to greeter and have them hand out balloons and sale flyers.

·
Registered
364 Posts
All of the guards in my area are retired officers. I do agree with you on feeling uncomfortable with someone protecting you that doesn't even know what they are carrying. Our Krogers stores also hire off duty officers to conduct investigations or even patrol their stores. It's not a 24/7 duty. Of course the violent crime rate here is minimal compared to major cities.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I do not think I have ever been in a grocery store that has had armed security. Even during my trips into Boston I can not recall seeing armed security in the grocery stores. The chain that I worked at here in NH during college did not have any security at all. There was a loss prevention person that served like 5-6 stores, so nobody ever really knew when he was there. I would see him every now and then walking the floor, but spent most of his time in the "security" room watching the cameras. Even if he did see something, he would catch it on tape, and report to authorities. I have seen security at the large malls, but even they do not carry a firearm. At the local mall the city police have a substation there at the mall, and there is typically at least one officer that is stationed there, but he does not patrol the mall. The mall security does that, and call the city police office for backup if needed.

I know several of the national chains around here are the same way. There was a story a few months back about a Walmart Loss Prevention employee that got fired because he tried to stop a shop lifter by blocking his car until the authorities could arrive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts