FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious. Is it possible we would be able to organize a group buy for the SCAR when it becomes available? I was thinking with all the interest we have and our overwhelming commitment and drooling :lol: over this platform it would be awesome if there was a way to put something like this together. Think my impatience is starting to get to me.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am in I have done that on other forums

·
Registered
65 Posts
A group buy usually implies that both buyer(s) & seller have something to gain. In this case, I don't think FN has to worry about moving volume. They already have the ultimate group buy going on in the form of a secured military contract in the range of several 10-thousands of units sold. Top it off w/ highly anticipated commercial demand, & I suspect they don't need to worry about giving a discount to generate bulk sales. That's how demand works.

Maybe in a few years, after the hype has died down, & assuming no political fallout occurs in the interim...

JMO.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really wasen't looking for a discount, even though it would be nice. I thought it would just be cool to have them say, " Hey tell us who would like to buy one and well arrange a purchase for everyone on the forum without having to go thru that sold to highest bidder" routine. Being able to get one without all the headaches and possible price gauging would be nice. Just my 2 cents as always. I have alot of loose pennies :D

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, another issue is that when a gun VERY FIRST comes out - many people who want to do the group buy thing end up going buy the gun the,selves, because they don't want to wait for the group buy to work itself out.

That happened on another forum I visit recently when a brand new pistol came out. It ended up falling apart.

I think group buys work better for something that has been out a while.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's an angle: more than a few of us want the SCAR in black rather than FDE. As it is, I'm already on a list for 2 -L's & 2 H's down at the fun shop, but it seems that the factory only has FDE in its immediate plans. However, if you guys can engineer some sort of black (literally) rifle group buy & generate sufficient numbers to peak FN's interest so they'll do a run of black rifles, I'll cancel my current order & throw place it via fnforum.

Consider it.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
We'll see - but I don't see that happening. At the last Q&A with FN here on the site - they claimed only the brown color is planned for now

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh yeah, I saw. OTOH, I was told by FN reps who visited here (wherein I did my hands-on review) that they would probably be doing black later in the year. I read rumors a while back that the "police models" would be black, but no hard evidence has turned up to support that.

Having to disassemble that lower just to be able to dye it black won't be fun.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The PS90s were green initially, and then the black models came later.

I assume that eventually there will be black ones.

·
Registered
65 Posts
O'Neill said:
The PS90s were green initially, and then the black models came later.

I assume that eventually there will be black ones.
My concern has more to do w/ the political climate & whether I have the luxury of waiting for FN to churn out the black variety, or if I need to throw down ASAP & get what I can while the getting's good - if it comes down to that. I guess I would hope that a large group of buyers could perhaps persuade the factory to make a run.

Dying the 2 polymide pieces black can be done, but the parts disassembly of the job - particularly w/ regard to the complexity of the stock - has me doubting the feasibility of such an option. The Al upper, OTOH, would be no problem. Depending on how it comes down, I may just wind up having to learn to like FDE, but I hope I don't get forced into it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I to would prefer black. My main concern is timing. While I doubt anything major is going to change as far as gun laws are concerned this year, I do wonder how long it will be. I see a lot of weapons out there now that just don't make any sense. The history on FN bringing weapon platforms to market in a timly fashion dosen't give me a warm fuzzy either. I just hope there is time for these to become available for us before they wind up on someones list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts