FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had Hi-DesertDog cut my barrel down to 10.5 and got it all back together and tried to get my grouping tight but it was impossible. Here's my set up. This isn't bash post on Hi-desert, they're truly a good group of people. I just want to figure out what's the issue.
10.5" barrel
Acog TA01
AAC 51t FH
SDN6

I tried first getting my groups tight with the suppressor on and off. I tried different ammo and the groups still changed dramatically at 25yds and 50yds. 25yd groups are never tighter than 6" and 50yd groups are not even on paper. I called Hi-DesertDog and they asked for me to pull the barrel off and send it back, but I thought maybe the crowning was bad or maybe the FH was threaded incorrectly, so I removed the FH and the same grouping persisted. I went to the pull barrel out today and notice my lower barrel support wasn't even tightened.

Would this be the issue or should I just send my barrel back?
Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
So I had Hi-DesertDog cut my barrel down to 10.5 and got it all back together and tried to get my grouping tight but it was impossible. Here's my set up. This isn't bash post on Hi-desert, they're truly a good group of people. I just want to figure out what's the issue.
10.5" barrel
Acog TA01
AAC 51t FH
SDN6

I tried first getting my groups tight with the suppressor on and off. I tried different ammo and the groups still changed dramatically at 25yds and 50yds. 25yd groups are never tighter than 6" and 50yd groups are not even on paper. I called Hi-DesertDog and they asked for me to pull the barrel off and send it back, but I thought maybe the crowning was bad or maybe the FH was threaded incorrectly, so I removed the FH and the same grouping persisted. I went to the pull barrel out today and notice my lower barrel support wasn't even tightened.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Thank you.
I'd tighten the fastener first.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
I had HD do a different cal barrel for me a while back. I had to send the barrel to another machine shop to get it fixed so it would work right. I no longer do business with them. I hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm not a manufacturer nor ballistician, but in addition to what others have told you above-properly torque the barrel supports in the correct order-and I wouldn't expect stellar accuracy out of a barrel with less than 1 full revolution--at any significant distance anyway(it's a guess on my part, but I'd think real hard about putting a can on the end of that 51t if you got one). Although I'm sure it probably looks badass with 10.5, there's a good reason why the factory CQC barrel is 13" and not less.

Reactions: andy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts