FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just picked up this GSG-5, .22 cal LR carbine. It's made in Germany by a company called German Sport Guns located in Oesterweg Germany (www.germansportguns.de). It is then imported here by a company called American Tactical Imports Inc. (www.Americantactical.us). this gun is a lot of fun to shoot. I've only had it a few days so this report is limited.

With the price of ammo these days, this gun was hard to pass up considering it shoots the inexpensive 22 lr cartridge. Especially for anyone who likes to go plinking or target shooting a lot. I have put about 150 rounds through it so far without any problems. I have used a mix of ammo from Winchester, Centurion and Aguila. All worked flawlessly. I paid $519 not including sales tax.
My cat likes it too!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was going to purchase one, but heard of some feeding issues. Please elaborate on performance when you can, I'd be interested in hearing your report. Thanks

Zhur

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I know..... I was concerned with some of the problems I heard about in the past with regard to the feeding and magazine issues. These problems may have been from defective parts on early models or isolated incidents with early models or bad magazines, I don't really know. As the weather gets warmer and dryer (I hope) around here, I will be going to the range more and I will get a chance to try a wider variety of ammo and put more rounds down range as well. I will update this thread in the future and let you guys know of any problems I have.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I got mine the second they hit the US, and as long as people keep their hands off the magazine, it works very well. have not had any issues in over 1K rounds without cleaning. :-D
Subsonics to hot Aguila SMHV rounds, eats everything. My fav plinker.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, I enjoy the hell out of this thing! I love the fact that it can take low cost Airsoft parts that are just as strong and you can find anything for it.

2500 rounds in the yard now with anything from Mini mags to cheap as dirt Walmarx bulk packs and no trouble.

I can tell your cat indeed likes it OP :lol:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I handled one of those today. Felt nice in hand.

As much as I love my PS90 and 5-7 I am having a blast with the S&W 22A I picked up. Originally picked it up so that I could practice on the cheap (50 rds 5.7 $20, 500 rds 22LR $20) but turns out I just like pulling the trigger. After 500 rounds or so through it I pulled out my 5-7 last night while at the range (one guy had no clue what it was but said "pretty gun". One of the other guys about had an orgasm when I asked it I could shoot it on their pistol range as this was not the range where I normally went) and found that some of my bad habits (trigger jerks, anticipation of recoil) had already started to disappear and I was hitting where I was aiming at much better. Now I am on the hunt for something in a rifle that will have a similar feel to the PS90. This was nice but not that feel.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oh yeah, 22 conversions are fantastic training. I got one of the conversnon kits for my AR's and it helped with my rapid multi target shooting ALOT and its dirt cheap!

Plus it supresses nicely with a can :p

·
Registered
980 Posts
There was one of these MP-5 clones in the gun store today. They wanted $580 for it. It came with a little picitiny rail. The kid wouldn't sell it to me for $500 and wouldn't even sell it to me for $580 with a free mag (worth $30)!
He gave me the "these are bran-new, and there won't be any more imported", and "we don't make deals on our new guns".

I've bought 5 grand plus worth of new guns at that place over the past few years. And I always got some sort of deal- like a box of ammo or something. I was kinda pissed. And he missed his sale.

ANYWHO, anyone know where I can pick one up for less than $550???

·
Registered
412 Posts
fatcat:
There is a MASSAVE shipment of them comeing in to the US soon.
Where did you hear this?

I'd like to buy one also.

They are running about $500 around here.

Congrats Pomoted Pawn!

·
Registered
302 Posts
A few places have stated there comeing in soon, you can look up when on the AR forums. Have yall seen the new AK and GSG-5 pistol? I may have to get the pistol and SBR that.

Everone is going up on price with them. My local store sold out of 7 of them in 4 days for 499 thats where I got mine from. Then they took the price to 550.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got mine, runs like a champ - lots of fun. Form 1s are at the ATF now. As soon as my tax stamp comes back it is going to Gemtech for their cut down and threading. Mine took the Airsoft A3 stock with a little bit of fitting. I was nervous about putting a $200 tax stamp on a gun that had gotten mixed reviews but mine ran great. After a couple of trips to the range, I was completely satisfied it was worth the $200. I am interested to see how it compares with my other suppressed 22lr (AR conversion, Dedicated AR, 10/22 and Buckmark). My MP5k clone is very quiet, I am hoping the GSG will be too.
:?

If you haven't got one yet, I would recommend them without hesitation if you want a fun little plinker. Cheap to shoot, cheap to customize, lots of fun.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Way to go with that suppressed project! You'll have to post some pics when it's done.
BTW, On Point is selling them for $500. $400 is just the deposit. They tricked me! Oh well.
The only accessory I'm interested in is the collapse-forward type stock. Anyone know where I can pick one up? Will any old airsoft stock work?

·
Registered
262 Posts
http://www.airsoftrevalution.com/

Classic Arms Collapsable A3 Stock Model A173M

It wasn't a drop in fit. You will have to dremel down the tabs at the bottom of the end cap and around the top of the end cap. I can post a couple of pics at some point. It took me about 15 mins and I am a beast with a dremel tool but I got it to work and it locks up nice and tight. "They" say the sling attachment will work but I don't believe them yet. Its a really decent stock for $80 - metal rails and all.

I will post pics in a month or so when this project gets further along.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts