FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about two hundred very accurate rounds sent down range, I took my FNP9 apart and noticed that the guide rod was pretty chewed up. i am guessing that 4-5 more sessions at this rate will cause it to look like a piece of rottini.
Is this common? Also, where can I get extra guide rod/recoil spring systems. It looks as though they are a one piece item.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
No - that shouldn't be - contact FNP.

EVERY once in a while, I see the same complaint about an occasional Glock or Beretta - something is wrong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm at over 1k rounds and my guide rod is pretty chewed up as well...hasn't hurt function at all yet, but maybe I should call FN...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've read somewhere, that FN changed the guide rod from an aluminum rod to a steel rod at some point during production. The way to tell is to push the spring down on the rod and put a freezer magnet on it.

I have no idea if you can call FN and get the steel guide rod as a replacement. I know S&W used to sell a steel Guide Rod to replace the plastic guide rod on the S&W 99's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will call them today. I am sure that they will work this out with me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Evo was correct. I spoke with customer service and they are sending me a new steel guide rod assembly. They also now have a number to call for parts:(800) 635-1321 . i WAS TOLD i COULD ORDER EXTRA MAGS OR GUIDE ROD ASSEMBLIES, ETC AT THIS #.
Also, the FNP9M will have a different size guide rod.

Thanks to EVO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same here, I spoke with Bob at FNH, a steel guide rod is en route to me. Overall, very pleasant experience...I'll have to check that number for parts to see how much mags are going to cost me. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far, they are A++ for service. In a day I will have my new guide rod assembly. Not bad at all. It earned them another gun purchase for sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
DocLRRP said:
So far, they are A++ for service. In a day I will have my new guide rod assembly. Not bad at all. It earned them another gun purchase for sure.
Agreed, my first contact with them was great, I hope if I ever need service again it's as good as it was this time. I'm going to purchase and FN SPR A1a this year. :shock:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are these all steel guide rods that replace the current piece that is polymer on one end and steel on the other? Is the polymer end the part of the guide rod that is getting damaged?

I just located a black FNP .40 SAO that I may be buying, so Im pretty curious.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So its the aluminum rod on the 9mm thats having issues? Is the polymer end of the guide rod holding up - no mushrooming or anything? The .40sw gets a steel rod then?

*Sorry for all the questions - want as much info before I get this new .40 SAO* :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
The problem with the rods is that the steel slide chews up the aluminum, the polymer cap is in a low-impact area, it should hold up even in the .40. Mine shows no wear after more than 1k rounds in my 9mm.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like to keep a nice supply of spare parts and so I started my FNP9 collection today with 2 spare recoil spring assemblies. I was really surprised at the $34.50 delivered price. Not bad.
The people in the parts dept at FNHUSA are very consciencious and have no problem in spending time with you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Kost said:
So its the aluminum rod on the 9mm thats having issues? Is the polymer end of the guide rod holding up - no mushrooming or anything? The .40sw gets a steel rod then?

*Sorry for all the questions - want as much info before I get this new .40 SAO* :D

Did you buy it? Like it?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that U are having so many issues.

When I asked for a manual to be shipped, they ended up UPS'ing the thing... Maybe its on the way...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I too, am surprised at the turnaround in the quality of the customer service. FNHUSA cannot afford , at this time , to drop the ball.
Good luck on getting your Guide Rod

1 - 20 of 23 Posts