FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm writing from Kuwait and happened to come across an FN FAL my father owned and is presumably from the Gulf War in 91. I just wanted to know what year or type this rifle is? What I should be looking at to ensure it fires safely? What magazine does it use Metric or Inch? Did it have a flash muzzle or not? Much thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice piece of history you have. You should post these pics on the FALfiles.com. More FAL experts over there.

This is what I know for sure:
It's a FAL, not an L1A1, so it takes metric mags. It's a type 2 upper receiver (those are the best IMHO).
The barrel and hand guards are not bipod cut (that's a plus IMHO too).

Here's my guess:
Looks like a Belguim made Turkish contract FAL 50.00 to me, but I'm no expert. You could do some research on the years FN made those for Turkey.
It takes a G1 flash hider. It twists on over the lug on the bottom of the barrel.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You're welcome. I just looked here FN FAL - Wikipedia and see that Kuwait is listed as an official user of the FAL. I bet it's not a Turkish contract then. I was wondering because the charging handle is different than the Turkish G1 FALs I've seen.

Kuwait might of bought a supply of FALs directly from FN.

There are a couple of well researched books on the history of the FAL:
The FN FAL Primer, The Collector's Guide to the FAL and SLR Rifles (scroll down to see the book)
The FAL Rifle by Blake Stevens

You'll need to clean the chamber and bore thoroughly and then check the headspace to ensure it's safe to fire. If you'd like to remove the surface rust, apply gun oil liberal and rub the area with fine steel wool. Just don't rub it too much as that will remove the finish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're welcome. I just looked here FN FAL - Wikipedia and see that Kuwait is listed as an official user of the FAL. I bet it's not a Turkish contract then. I was wondering because the charging handle is different than the Turkish G1 FALs I've seen.

Kuwait might of bought a supply of FALs directly from FN.

There are a couple of well researched books on the history of the FAL:
The FN FAL Primer, The Collector's Guide to the FAL and SLR Rifles (scroll down to see the book)
The FAL Rifle by Blake Stevens

You'll need to clean the chamber and bore thoroughly and then check the headspace to ensure it's safe to fire. If you'd like to remove the surface rust, apply gun oil liberal and rub the area with fine steel wool. Just don't rub it too much as that will remove the finish.
Interesting!! Got it!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts