FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what different types of oil and cleaner does every one clean there guns with?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I've been using Otis CLP for cleaning and lubing the slide with tetra gun grease. Manual says not to use products containing teflon, but oh well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone use brakeclean on the slide? I know it cant be used on plastics but it would be great if I could use it on the slide. I'm talking about the automotive brakeclean spray, it doesnt leave a residue behind and dries very quick, great for removing oil, grease, etc.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm of the opinion that automotive cleaners are for cars. There are plenty of products made for guns, so I don't feel the need to dip into my automotive stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm old school but for bores I use Hoppe's #9 Benchrest Copper solvent. For general cleaning Good old Standard # 9. Believe me I have tried the BreakfreeCLP and a dozen other items over the years. Sweets, Shooters Choice, Even Warren Page's old original Bore Paste, now sold by USP. But for my money It just seems to me that Hoppe's has them all beat.

Now as far as a good lube is concerned the key is to get one that doesn't gum up with a long day at the range or cause your auto shotgun to almost freeze up when your hunting Pheasent in those windy fields up in South Dakota or a long day on the Skeet field with a gun like a Remington 1100 they can get so sluggish that they will quit functioning. You also want a lube that will repel moisture. Most would think that this just goes hand in hand with any good oil. Well on a cold day heat in a firearm will promote condensation. Most think that oil and water don't mix........Well not always. Factor in some powder residue and it becomes a gummy mess.

So I have looked around quite a bit over the years Tetra gun grease is good no doubt so is Otis and Rem Oil and several others but I have started using Militech 1 for a lube. It seems to stay put and does not attract dirt and powder residue. I also notice very little moisture build up as well. My Shotguns and auto pistols just keep running. Now I should also tell you that it's not exactly cheap, but fouling from inside the slide or receiver wipes right off of my Colts and Sigs, Brownings, Remington's as I have coated them with a light touch before I shoot. A little bit goes a very long way.

Here is a link. You might like to check it out. It's some of the longest lasting stuff I have ever used.
http://hunting.about.com/gi/dynamic...rmance.com/The_Ultimate_Weapon_Lubricant.html

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hoppes #9 for cleaning and Militech 1 for lube.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I use breakfree clp and S&W advanced oil

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ship do you only use Breakfree CLP or do you use an oil also....I have thought about using just CLP but it seems to dry up.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
jrh3 said:
Ship do you only use Breakfree CLP or do you use an oil also....I have thought about using just CLP but it seems to dry up.
Breakfree is oil.

It is all I use.

On guns I carry, I take the slide off and reoil the rails every 2 weeks. On guns I leave loaded (like my nightstand gun), I reoil the rails and wipe down the outside with Breakfree 1x per month.

It is all I use.

I have some Hoppes that I have used exactly 3 times in 3 years. On rare, rare, rare occasions, I'll get some powder marks on my P99's slide (it's hard chromed, so you see it well), and the Breakfree cannot get it off. Only time I ever used it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Bore tech eliminator for cleaning (works awesome on copper fouling) and militec-1 for lube and corrosion protection. In my experience break-free is marginal as a lube in dusty conditions and insufficient for cleaning bore and carbon fouling. I also hate the smell but that's just a personal thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hoppe's No.9 and RemOil, nothing to fancy. Hadn't heard of Break-free LCP. Stuff looks to be pretty damn good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts