FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the story about FN 57 shooting out of battery reminded me of storys over the yeats of Kimbers shooting two bullets with one trigger pull. This seemed to be Kimber .45acp that had been reworked. The hot metal pourded parts had been replaced with Stainless Steel. Then the parts had been stoned. The triggers had been lightened all in an effort to win compatitions. I have one of these guns. The shooter would shoot at the target and as the gun recoil upwards a second round would go off. This was proven when a young man sitting in a chair inside the inside range was shot in the head and killed when hit by the stray round. This is the first death I have heard of but not the first time this has occured. Even though this teen died he could have been saved but the range had several problems that they knew about but did nothing about to fix them. One the building was built of a really light steel with a gap between the roof and the wall area. The outdoor range faced the inside range with the shooters shooting at the building. The building had many bullet holes in it where apond inspection the bullet had been traveling inside the building. The holes had been filled with silcone. The back drop was only 8 feet tall instead of 12 feet as required. The second bullet had entered the buildiing right under the roof hit the ceiling and bounced down and hit the teen. Neadless to say the range was closed down never to open again and sued. My point is everyone likes a light smooth trigger pull but even with a qualified gunsmith which should always be used when stoning and upgrading for a faster shooter there is a point that shood not be past and if your gun ever double taps on you with one trigger pull you really should take it back to the gunsmith to be reworked to make it more in line with original specks. I speak from experince. Just my POV. Pat

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If I understand your discription of what happened, this is not an out of battery issue. When you have an OOB discharge the breach is not closed. This almost always causes a kaboom(the bullet casing is ripped apart) and extreme damage to the gun and shooter.

The issue of the condition of the range is irrelavent. Has nothing to do with the gun.

What this situation sounds like is that someone had a trigger job done on this SA 1911. They lightened it up too much. After firing the first round the recoil caused the shooter finger to "bump fire" a second round. Do you know if the shooter was using factory ammo or hand loads?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Definately bump fire, not OOB, also human error for lightening their trigger pull too low. There's a reason guns have anywhere from 6-12 lbs of trigger pull in a defensive handgun. If you are shooting bullseye, sure lighten the trigger, if you are carrying a defense gun, don't mess with the way it's designed too much or it'll come back and bite you. Or shoot you in the head.

Zhur

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Agree Zhur, You can have a gunsmith polish the sear (if needed) and keep high grade graphite on it and make the trigger pull very smooth without lighting up the pull.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Without messing with the internals you can "lighten" the pull by doing 2 things - a smoooth face on the trigger (ok, you may have to replace it to get this) and a *wider* trigger face (ok, again, you may need to replace to get this). While not changing what a scale would show for pressure required, the smooth face and wider face give your finger more area to apply that pressure, and so it feels lighter. Shot a Taurus 357 set up this way once, felt like a 5-6lb pull in DA mode and just ounces in SA mode. Scale revealed 12lbs DA and 5 SA!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts