FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, My 73 yr. old mother has expressed interest in acquiring a handgun since my father recently passed. I am contemplating getting her something for her upcoming birthday and would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have that may be "GRANDMA" friendly. Anybody have any small revolvers that they really love? I'd like to hear about them.. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, its gonna be a wheel gun due to simplicity but just don't know which one yet. She's pretty feisty for her age so I know she can pull a trigger. I actually got some video of her laying waste to some melons with my sten gun last year.lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think you could find a more grandma friendly gun than the 5.7. Super light, Plenty of rounds for bad aim/bad eyesight, and no recoil.
I agree there isn't many easier shooting guns out there but I don't want her to have to worry about loading or safety switches etc.. point and shoot is the order at hand.

·
Premium Member
15,629 Posts
I agree there isn't many easier shooting guns out there but I don't want her to have to worry about loading or safety switches etc.. point and shoot is the order at hand.
I agree keep it simple went thru the same thing with my mom after my dad passed away it's more a sense of security to her Knowing its in the house and you hope! and pray they never have to use it!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My Mother, early 70s, has a GP100 and a older Smith 38 Special. She can shoot revolvers. Semi autos are more difficult for her and I would guess most older women and some men. Especially those who do not have experience shooting semi autos.

If you plan on having her practice with it then I would suggest staying away from the lighter revolvers. Get something with a little bit of weight so that the recoil is not near as bad.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Remember, the lighter the gun, the more recoil you'll feel.
Yes,and thank you. I have over 25 years of military/law enforcement experience so I understand these types of things. What I'm looking for is specific info from forum members on particular "grandma friendly" pistols that they own,know,and love.. you know, something you would buy for your mom.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
S&W model 60, stainless .38, not a lot of recoil due do the weight of the stainless steel.

Reactions: Smokeshow60

·
Registered
848 Posts
+1 spiker and sony , 38 revolver. revolver maybe in 22?

I like revolvers. A lot, family and church,a lot of people see revolvers as less threatening (comparison to autos) and it couldn't be any more wrong. it's a very good recommendation.

***edit, I'm johnny come lately, here lol. It seems everyone or just about every one here is pointing that way.

Reactions: Smokeshow60

·
Registered
18 Posts
Spiked Adams made a good point , a good nightstand gun for self defense is probably not going to be a good practice gun. My wife has a 642 with lazer grips for self defense and can shoot it well. However if she shoots it s lot like at a range it makes her hand sore for days, she can shoot my gp 100 with 38 specials in it all day with no problem. But she does not handle or shoot the big gun near as fast as the 642. Self defense I believe from what I have read is a little different in that you are excited and full of adrenalin and don't feel much recoil at that time . Just to add , I like the 642 because it is all metal and light, that being said if I were looking now for a gun for my wife I would look at the ruger polymer frame revolver because of the trigger also I think you can get one on 327 magnum again very little recoil and balistics close to 357

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts