FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FORT WAYNE – A man who was selling a handgun to a family member and who thought the gun was unloaded accidentally shot himself in the chest Saturday night and later died, police said.

The accident happened about 8 p.m. Saturday in the man’s home at 1419 Landers Court in Georgetown Place, an upscale development off Maplecrest Road.

At least a dozen police cars arrived on the scene and officers appeared to spend most of their time in the garage. The shooting, however, took place in the house, police said.

Officers provided first aid, but the man was later pronounced dead at the scene by medics.

Around two hours after the accident happened, several people could be seen loading bags into a SUV and leaving.

Police would not identify the man or give his age.

They would also not release the caliber of the gun.

Police: Gun goes off during sale, killing owner | The Journal Gazette

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Gun safety should be taught in grade school, especially treating all firearms as if they are loaded. Even the children of the most militant anti-gun parents are likely to come in contact with a firearm. Unforeseen situations and curiosity assure it will happen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
show of hands, how many people have pointed a gun at their own chest and pulled the trigger? Some people shouldn't have kids, but they do, the same applies to guns, (sorry no offense to my libertarian brethren. My 2 cents

·
Registered
639 Posts
It's very sad that this happened. At least it was the guy who ignored the safety rules that shot himself, and not the potential buyer or a nearby child.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My prayers are with the gentleman family. Guns are dangerous and we have to be extra careful especially around our family and friends - when we are most comfortable. We don't ever want the gun grabbers a chance to say I told you so ...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I distinctly remember one time I thought a gun was unloaded and out of habit checked the chamber...and it was loaded. The old rule of always loaded prevailed, but it really made an impression. Sorry to hear about this man's unfortunate accident.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That story leaves too much unanswered. I wonder who that was loading up bags and what was in them?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
show of hands, how many people have pointed a gun at their own chest and pulled the trigger? Some people shouldn't have kids, but they do, the same applies to guns, (sorry no offense to my libertarian brethren. My 2 cents
You make an excellent point. Pointing the gun at his chest and calling it an accident is a 'head scratcher' situation.

No offense here, as a libertarian I'd say he had a personal right to take himself out, intentionally or by accident, as long as in the process didn't endanger some other person.

·
Vendor
1,756 Posts
Why did the story make a point about the seemingly unrelated fact that a lot of the police seemed to spend a lot of time in the garage? Were they serving beer out there? and why did they remove bags?

Maybe I'm old school, but I kind of thought it was a reporter's job to extract the relevant details from a story. If it was not relevant, then don't report it. If it was, then do your job and inform us why.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Safety. Ugh, can't get enough of it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It would be dishonorable to let the huge stockpile of beer the man had prepared in the garage go to waist. Obviously the ones in the bags were warm so they need to store them in the officers refrigerators at home....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts