FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first of all i have reloaded ammo for about 15 years now im very anal about making sure every thing in perfect i have been reloading the 5.7x28mm for about 1 year now using 40gr vmax bullets i clean and polish the brass as far as i can tell i do everything correctly but with reloads the gun will jam about every 10-15 rounds it looks like the brass is no falling far enough away from the bolt before the bolt starts to close with another round i have heard that FN puts a lube on there brass to make it function correctly but dont know this for sure has any body else ran in to this. Was thinking of upping my powder charge alittle to push the bolt open more thought this could be the problem any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
980 Posts
the FN 5.7 ammo does have some sort of finish. I can't remember what it is. The other guys reloading 5.7 don't seem to be doing moly-coats or anything though.

What powder are you using?

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
There is indeed a lacquer on the 5.7X28 brass. It is recommended that you DO NOT clean the brass except to use something like Truly Green so that you do not remove the lacquer from the brass.

The lacquer when heated by the powder burning acts as a lubricant so that the expended cases can easily eject from the firearm.

You need to look at the expended brass that is giving you a problem and see if you can see the difference in the sheen betweem it and a new round that has not been fired.

I have read where people are getting as many as 12 reloads as long as the brass is not tumbled or vibratory cleaned, but that the reload life of the brass is reduced significantly if the brass is cleaned using the aformentioned methods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help i will stop tumbling the brass all my reloading supplies are in storage right now because i'm moving to idaho but i beleave the powder that i was using was alliant powder is there any lube that i can put on the brass to help it feed thru the gun (ps90) better or can you relaquer the brass

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
True Blue (Ramshot) is my choice of powder. It is a little slow but works fine. It is suspected of being the American version of what FNH uses to load their ammo.

AA also works as does Power Pistol but there is little data concerning any of the powders used in this round. AA and Ramshot are the only two companied that have very LIMITED published data for reloading this round.

·
Registered
218 Posts
HK SD9 Tactical is right on with this info. I experimented taking the lacquer off and had to many ejection issues. I also agree about using True Blue- at the begining of my 5.7x28 saga- I was determined to find out what powder FN was using for this round Ref:
http://www.armslocker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28977&page=10 scroll down to #97 and #101

I use TB exclusively. FN has already done the pressure tests with this powder to make sure it works well with the 5.7x28 round.

Questions- What length are you trimming your cartridges at? I had to go down to a case length of 1.130, which will reduce the amount of times you can resuse the case.
Are you cleaning your PS90 bolt after every use? I would not with mine and had to start after every use when using my reloades.
What primers are you using? I moved from Winchesters Small Pistol to Small Rifle to help with the blow back. I would be hesitant on upping the TB powder past 7.0gns- the word of caution you hear out there about this round being sensitive is no lie.
The most important factor for me was using the right dies, the Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set 5.7x28mm FN have been the best so far. They resize the shoulder back to the correct specs, unlike the RCBS ones.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is good information because I have about 250 rounds to reload in the near future.

Question - has anyone with ejection problems attempted any spray-on coatings on the loaded rounds? Something like a dry lube would by its very nature lubricate the rounds. You would only need to ensure the lube isn't heat-sensitive, perhaps like an automotive dry lube... ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've heard a lot about this problem and find it utterly amazing that a solution to the issue hasn't been found where lubing the cases to allow the gun to operate properly isn't required.

There are several possible solutions to the problem and I'm searching for a test barrel for a PS90/P90 to modify to see if an idea I have will work. Lubing cases with laquer or whatever isn't a viable solution in the long run.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts