FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the nightstand gun discussion there was some discussion of gun safes but I didn't see any discussion threads where it safes were covered in much detail. I sent a private message to a forum member asking about something he had commented on and got referred to another forum. At that forum, I found a link to this page which I thought others might also benefit from reading:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

I already have a medium-sized safe but it's filling up with documents and I'm now considering getting medium-sized safe and a small bedroom safe, or I may just talk myself into this: http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safe-HC1854.htm. I'd appreciate your thoughts and insight.

(Note: I'm still new here and just re-read the rules and hope the above link is okay since it's not to a FN forum. Please remove it if it's not.)

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Your links are fine - they are not to FN related sites:

3. If you have made posts on other FN forums you are welcome to reproduce the information here. Please do not post links to other FN forums - otherwise your post may be removed. Links to ANY OTHER forums for reference material are welcome.
For a large safe, I like the silver Sentry safe they sell at Lowes. It was $397, and it has shelf space for pistols. It's not only for rifles. It also has a rubber ring on the dial, so your fingers do not slip. And, the dial doesn't have that loose rattle that cheap gunsafes typically do.

I can't find the safe for you on Lowes.com (its nots howing up like it used to). But, my local Lowe's still carries them - go check...

Here is a pic:

·
Banned
328 Posts
http://www.libertysafe.com/

Check these out - (I have the Franklin model). They are pricier than the big box store safes (which BTW are usually made in China) but as they saying goes - you get what you pay for. With the political climate these days it is entirely possible that in the event a fire destroyed your home and your insurance paid for your guns you would still not be able to replace them.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Get the biggest highest quality safe you can afford or you will regret it.
I got a small cheap safe and now will be in the market for a new one.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
A local gun shop here was running a really good deal on liberty safes during August. They look really nice, but pretty pricey.

·
Registered
857 Posts
harbinger007 said:
kanthek said:
http://www.libertysafe.com/
With the political climate these days it is entirely possible that in the event a fire destroyed your home and your insurance paid for your guns you would still not be able to replace them.
Especially here in California!!!
With Obama in office - people in all states may not be able to replace their guns - the cheap safes will offer you very little in fire protection & security.
Usually even less then they claim.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Another site posted a link to a video of 2 guys breaking into a safe with some tools. It took them like 3 minutes to get into the thing. So honestly - if security is REALLY you biggest issue - you probably needa buy a $2k+ safe, as the safe they managed to get into was pretty nice.

I forget the safe company who made the video - but it was a basically a vid made by 1 safe company to show how other brands of safes can be gotten into.

I got my safe because of my son, and it was all I could afford. But, my point is that the $400 safe and the $1k safe can both probably be broken into easily.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ship, your reasons are mostly the same as mine. My son is 10 and I don't him to do the kind of crap my brother and I did when we were slightly older than him. We shot dad's guns much more than he ever did and he didn't know it for many years.

Some people believe good training with guns will avoid problems with kids. While I think California has a lot of crazy laws, I did like seeing the point made in the Handgun Safety Certificate guide:
The American Academy of Pediatrics reports that adolescence is a highly
vulnerable stage in life for teenagers struggling to develop traits of identity,
independence and autonomy.
When I recently read it, I was immediately reminded of two of my sister's classmates many years ago committed suicide (unrelated tragedies).

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm sure a $400 safe would eliminate at least 90% of the risk I'm trying to eliminate.

wlchoen, as far as being unable to replace my guns, I do worry about the Obama administration. However, even with current laws on the books I would not be able to replace two of my existing guns in a few years here in California. We're "progressive", you know. Most folks just don't realize what we're progressing towards!

·
Registered
857 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I got my safe because of my son, and it was all I could afford. But, my point is that the $400 safe and the $1k safe can both probably be broken into easily.

True but the $400 safe is going to be much easier to break into and not hold up as well in a fire. If it's only $400 you gotta figure it's only got about $100 worth of raw materials in there.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, I have a wife that hates guns, and made me pay for the safe using the way I save up to buy guns. She pushed me to sell everything when I talked about a safe to protect my son from the guns.

This is better than a Stackon Safe - and it's made as well as the safes that go up to $700-$800. I also couldn't fit anything bigger.

So, it was this or nothing. A fireproof safe costs a lot more. And, 2 guys with crobars opened that $1000+ safe in 3 minutes. and if they actually take the safe from a home - then they have all the time they need.

I'm satisfied with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ship, I stopped by Lowe's this afternoon here in NorCal. They didn't have a Sentry safe, but had two that carried the name "Centurion by Liberty". This was is the same price as what you paid for the Sentry:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=292952-10283-CE12-BK

They also had this larger one for $697:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=291281-10283-CN-20 BK

The smaller one is rated for 20 minutes of fire protection while the larger one is rated for 30 minutes. The dials seemed okay, though the numbers and lines could have been clearer.

More information on these can be found at http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_centurion.php

My neighbor has bought and sold safes some in the past and told me of a place that sells used safes that I'll check out later in the week if I'm able.

·
Banned
328 Posts
This is better than a Stackon Safe

They had one of those at the place I bought mine - it was sitting out in the showroom with the door ripped open on it with a crowbar. Looked like it put up about 30 seconds worth of fight.

The Liberty I bought has 1 hour of fire protection and it has the expanding seal around the door as well as 1 inch bolts all the way around. I drilled holes in the concrete it sits on and anchored it with big lag screws from the inside so it can't be hauled off to be torched elsewhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In looking at gun safes that one with digital locks look appealing since they can provide fairly quick access. However, they may not be as reliable (though commercial grade ones are supposedly good). I'm leaning towards a dial lock but then getting something else for my equivalent of a "bedside" pistol. The V-Line security cases seem ideal for this purpose, providing a quick mechanical system. They've got a variety of products that can work well:

http://www.vlineind.com/html/products.html

An eBay seller has this YouTube video that shows it in use:

The video indicates that several law enforcement agencies provide their officers with these cases.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
That V-line safe looks good for a bedside gun case. Thanks for posting it!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I bought my last one from Academy Sports and Outdoors. Been very happy with it. Make sure to use some sort of moisture collector.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I wanted a dial because I was concerned about the numbers on the buttons wearing off - and then someone can eliminate some of the combos.

And, I also have almost all handguns - so the type of safe I needed had to have more shelf space.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ordered one of those V-Line security devices yesterday (I hesitate to call them a "safe") and looked at safe's at my gun shop. they carry American Security, Winchester, and Browning. I also talked to the owner of a lock and safe business that has been around for 50 years. He wasn't rude, but told me right off the bat "do yourself a favor and don't buy one of those safes at Costco or something, the're junk." He relayed experiences with Sentry and Liberty's low-end Centurion brands. One common problem, he said, was that if the sit unused much they will freeze up (I believe the internals won't spin correctly) and he has been called to drill them. He recommended American Security as a good quality brand that isn't too expensive and said the company is running a sale. However, he said the company charges over $200 to deliver them to his shop so he needs to put together an order and pick them up himself. I plan to meet with him next week when I've got more time but he told me that a good 12-gun safe could be had for "five something". That includes delivery but I told him I could handle that myself, hoping to save some money. (I've already moved an old heavy safe five times through various moves.)

One more thing - a way to save money some of the time for something such as the V-Line product is to do a search through live.com. I found that the seller with the cheapest price was eligible for "cash back" (that % can fluctuate over time, but I got 6% after earlier seeing 9%).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts