FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple SBR's I need to finish and thinking of getting a couple of suppressors to add to the NFA items. From what I read a trust is the way to go. Does the general consensus agree?

Terry

·
Registered
841 Posts
The only possible downside I could see would be the cost of the trust.

Assuming if you are playing the NFA game it's presumed the cost of the trust is just a price of doing business :)

i recommend GunTrustLawyer.com

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
depends....do you live in a City where the local chief will sign off on your form? Or do you live within a County where the Sherif will sign off on your form? If so, then whey spend the money for a trust? If you can't get a chief law enforcement official to sign, then yes, the only option you have is a trust.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I got mine for $50 so it was worth it for me even though my sheriff will sign off. More convient to me, plus I assume not ask my sheriff for anything......

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I did trust one for convenience of no prints and begging for a signature two I don't think a sheriff would sign off on a 35 year old applying for 7 suppressors and 5 sbr. Maybe I underestimate the Leo in my area but I'm not begging for anything

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand what your saying. I live in ohio and am in the mil. The cost is pretty high if I do it with a gun lawyer here but sounds like its worth it not to do the hassle with prints or the CLEO. I also understand that you don't have to worry about it when you cross state lines with them either with a trust? I think once I get the money I'm going for the trust.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
I also understand that you don't have to worry about it when you cross state lines with them either with a trust?
As long as you have prior approval from ATF.

And the State you're going to has no restrictions.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
152 Posts
Definitely do a trust. Could do what me and a couple friends did. Go to office max and buy quicken willmaker, use the free code for nolo.com for your trust, return quicken willmaker to office max because it was "the wrong program".

·
Registered
71 Posts
I live in a county that the sheriff signs off immediately, no begging required. Everything I have is individual on forms 1 and 4. But now that you can efile with only a trust or corporation, and the wait is nearly 1/3 of the time, I think the trust is worth the money and the way to go. If they open up efile to individuals eventually, if I don't already have the trust I will stick with the individual route.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Shorter wait times was the main reason for me doing a trust, but there are other advantages of having a gun trust. The CLEO and prints have never been a issue with me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Peck, shoot me a message, I will send you a copy of my trust. So far I've done 3 SBRs and 1 suppressor on it. Waiting on 4 more suppressors.

I'll remove my names from the trust and just put in SAMPLE_NAME and you can cut and paste as you see fit.

I just used the Maryland trust that's online and changed it for Ohio and added in Ohio specific stuff related to beneficiaries.

I found out that the chief in the city I moved to is willing to sign off, but since I already have stuff set up in the trust, I just kept using the trust route.

If going across state lines, you would still need to notify ATF with a letter even with a trust I believe. You are the trustee of the trust, so you can send the letter.

I built a pistol lower if I ever feel like taking my SBRs out of state (haven't done it and don't see a reason to in the future), but that's an option I have.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I thought ATF changed the guide lines and CLEO and prints are now required on a trust because of that one douche who tried to get firearms through a trust because he was a convicted felon?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
One of the local law offices that's recommended by my gun club has two "levels" of trust package. The Sharpshooter Trust costs $750, and the Expert Trust costs $1200 both of which seem high if the ATF is willing to accept the packages drafted with the various software packages.

Is there some compelling reason to have a real lawyer do your trust documents that I'm just not seeing?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
282 Posts
One of the local law offices that's recommended by my gun club has two "levels" of trust package. The Sharpshooter Trust costs $750, and the Expert Trust costs $1200 both of which seem high if the ATF is willing to accept the packages drafted with the various software packages.

Is there some compelling reason to have a real lawyer do your trust documents that I'm just not seeing?

Thoughts?
That does seem high, but...

Compelling reason is you don't want to have any sloppy paperwork in dealing with the ATF

I still wouldn't pay that much. I believe unpaid right around $600 and it was (and is) for my attorney's time and ongoing counsel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

Thoughts?
That cost is INSANITY! Look these guys up in your state ... the guys we deal with in WA are first-rate, Pro 2A guys that know WTF they're doing for way less than you were quoted. I have yet to have any issues with any of my NFA items with the Trust they made for me. :?

Lawyer Profiles | Gundocx Lawyers

·
Registered
8,450 Posts

Thoughts?

Thats insane pricing!!!!!!!!!! I got mine from a Nfa esq and mine was 200.0

1 - 20 of 39 Posts