FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since I saved some money on this barrel I'm thinking of other mods, As you know and I believe that for a PDW in this modern and practical world. That the only flaw I can put my finger on is the coating of the ammo for easier extraction in P90s and PS90s.
And having given this some thought I personally believe that this would work but I'm not a expert-I just play one on the internet-I'm thinking of chamber fluting the barrel and think this would eliminate the need for the ammo coating.
Now all other weapons that have chamber flutes are locking actions like HK with there roller locks, And the Ps90 is blow back operated with no lock mechanism just the weight of the bolt. So do you think it would work or the action would open to soon with the less friction to hold the case to the chamber wall. But remember this is also not a high power round.

Also if you know anyone who can chamber flute please post there email or website

·
Administrator
11,755 Posts
I do not think that this is a viable option for this firearm.

I would not worry too much about the lacquer that is used as a lubricant for the extraction process. It works in conjunction with the slow burning powder, and the timing could be adversly affected by fluting the chamber.

It may not be a high power round but it is a high pressure round, ~50K PSI in the PS90 in some of the more beefed up rounds such as the SS198LF, Elites S4 Raptor, and even some of my own loads that exceed what is available on the market today.

The SS198LF is a beefed up SS195LF round with .2 grains more of powder totaling 6.8 grains.

Elites S4 loads are 6.9 grains of powder (from what I have heard) and I suspect some will exceed the 50K PSI range in the PS90. In the Five-seveN there is alot of unburnt powder being wasted out the muzzle. A member of Elite Ammo has stated that there is quite a fireball to admire using the Five-seveN and the S4 rounds.

You should call Tommy T at FNH and speak with him about this. I would certainly bet that FNH has thought this out and decided that it was not the way to proceed with this weapon system. BTW, any modifications to the firearm will VOID your warrantee. So will using anything but FNH ammo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts