FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to a show this weekend to try and pick up an FNP9. Im located in So. Fla. and was wondering if anyone can provide me with some insight into how much I should be able to get a new one for. I know this depends on the individual vendors at the show, but I'm just looking for a ballpark range here (9mm SS, no NS). I'd assume itd be close to the internet pricing, but really have no idea. Thanks in advance and great forums!

Additionally, any word on how much more the newer USG model is going to cost? The manual safety allowing for "condition zero" carry is quite appealing.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
When I weent to the last super huge Reliant gunshow in Houston - I only saw ONE FNP - And the guy wanted an arm and a leg for it. So, I don't really know what typical gunshow prices for it are yet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Man, those look nice. But I thought there was supposed to be a lanyard loop on the back?? :(

·
Registered
173 Posts
So the USG version has a safety, while the standard does not? Is it not OK to carry a round in the chamber with the hammer decocked? I read it was like a 10+ pound DA trigger pull, much heavier than some of the GLOCK trigger setups (my G26 being 8lbs). I read in another post that the manual says not to carry with a round chambered, but I figured it was to cover their butts. I personally do not want to worry about whether I've clicked off the safety if I were about to defend myself.

So is it safe to carry a standard FNP with the hammer decocked or is it really a no no?

Or is the safety only for leaving it in SA mode?

I tried to download a manual, but they are not available yet from FNHUSA.com yet. Sorry if I seem over curious, I'm looking to get one, so I need a lot of facts to back up the purchase.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The safety is for cocked and locked carry only.

The reason for the DA/SA is for de-cocked carry. Being in double action when de-cocked gives it that heavy trigger pull for a reason, to make sure it wont go off if the trigger some how manages to get bumped. In single action, the possibility of the gun going off if the trigger is bumped is greater do to the lighter trigger pull. Unless of course there is a safety to lock it out. My guess is the greatest chances of either scenario happening is during the holstering or un-holstering process.

I carry my FNP all the time with the hammer down with a round in the chamber. Whats the point of having it on me if its not ready to go?? Is the bad guy going to be nice and stop his assault while I can chamber a round? It works about as well as driving a car with no gas.

Comparing a Glock trigger to any other rather than other striker fired pistols such as the XD, is kind of a moot point. They are really not even in the same category. And no matter how many times I hear people refer to Glocks and XD's as double action it just makes no sense. A true double action will cock and drop the hammer (or striker) each time the trigger is pulled, regardless if it fired. Glock's and XD's alike both have to be cocked, or have the slides racked back in order to charge the striker. Honestly I think that striker fired pistols are in a category all on their own.

Keep in mind that the FNP can be had in single action only, double action only and the most common DA/SA. It works the same as a Beretta 92. The gun is in double action until fired. Once the round is fired and the action blows back and chambers another round the hammer is cocked and is now in single action. It will then remain in single action until the hammer is dropped or de-cocked by the lever.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not trying to hijack here, but what extra options do the USG models come with?

Conventional safety and......?

BTW I love the looks of the FDE frame. But since I don't live anywhere near a desert, I'd probably never get anything in FDE.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The USG model has a FDE frame, SA/DA with manual safety and extra serrations in the slide. That seems to be about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts