FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a real hard time getting my Brakeout 2.0 off of my 17s. So, before I boogered it up, I took it to my local smith. I put it on myself and torqued to spec, so it was on properly. My vice and vice blocks suck and I just couldn't get any grip on the barrel.

They sort of refused to use rocksett on the Blackout that was being attached. He was admimate about using red Loctite instead. I get his point regarding it's not great to have to soak your barrel in water to remove rocksett.

I will say that these guys do know what they are doing and are very good. They sell a lot of cans and do a lot of custom work etc.

I'm a bit concerned about the red Loctite though. He claims that the Blackout won't break loose when the can heats up.

Does anyone have experience using loctite in this application? Or should I pull off the new FH before it sets?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, exactly why I am concerned. Rockset is good to a couple thousand degrees I think. This locktite is good to just under 500.

Although I have never heard of anyone having a mount work loose with high temp locktite.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Even the highest temp Loctite products only withstand 650F... and I would be VERY surprised if they didn't just use 272(most common off-the-shelf red), which is only rated for 450F. I would be willing to bet your Brakeout will not last under sustained fire but there's one sure way to find out... bring your oven mitt to your next range day Milspec. There's a reason almost every suppressor manufacturer supplies their product with Rocksett adhesive.

http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/84590_high_temp_lubricity_tl.pdf

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just removed it before the red got a chance to set. It's off, cleaning threads with acetone and getting ready to reinstall. Torque spec is 45-55 ft lbs. I think I went 50 last time but this time I am thinking closer to 45??

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get all set to torque her on and finally be done with this. The little tube of Rockset that came with my Blackout is all dry and gel like. Crap! It looks like I have to wait and order some as I don't know of any stores that carry it.

Obsticale, after obsticale with this project!!:p

·
Registered
2,625 Posts

20-30 ft lbs

I don't think you need to torque it that much 40 to 50 ft lbs is excessive besides, let the rockset do its job so you don't have to over torque ;)

I know not a 2.0 - but AAC is pretty constant for what you should torque a muzzle device to:

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the 7.62 MD's they have 45-55 ft lb specs on the packaging. I always thought it was a lot also but I have seen it on 3-4 of their 7.62 packages.

It is less for 5.56 devices.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
AAC has bounced back and forth from 20-30 to 40-50. They even told me both on the phone with them different times. SilencerCo and Surefire recommend 30ft/lbs. They "say" after 30 ft/lbs you start to stretch the threads. I trust 30 ft/lbs plus rocksett to hold my muzzle devices on 5/8x24 and 1/2x28

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
So much for the 'smith knowing about Loctite and heat. :p

Reactions: Milspec

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So much for the 'smith knowing about Loctite and heat. :p
They do good work but this isn't the first hair brained thing this guy has come up with. I would tell the story but I'll spare you all. Unfortunately, in terms of mechanically doing things correct and not boogering my stuff up; they are my only choice around here.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
They do good work but this isn't the first hair brained thing this guy has come up with. I would tell the story but I'll spare you all. Unfortunately, in terms of mechanically doing things correct and not boogering my stuff up; they are my only choice around here.
It boils down to knowledge. They just need to be educated about things. At least they have the knowledge for the mechanical things.

I got plenty of popcorn for a story or two... :eek:

Reactions: Milspec

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Milspec, I can understand your concern but I don't think the Loctite will take the heat. That being said, I would however use the rock-set sparingly, if it would loosen on you, you can always reinstall using a little more. I would think one of those little tubes is enough to install a lot of muzzle devises, just going on the many problems with removal that we have seen on the forum in the past. Jeremy can you chime in and try to give a estimate on the amount to use, not asking for unit of measure, more like a stripe down one side of the threads or said numbers of dots on the threaded area.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Jeremy can you chime in and try to give a estimate on the amount to use, not asking for unit of measure, more like a stripe down one side of the threads or said numbers of dots on the threaded area.
You are right, one tube will do several guns. I'll tell you though that it comes out of the tube really fast. What I do on my guns and recommend is just one dot right at the end of the threads so that when you tighten it down it spreads it to the bottom threads. This seems to be just enough to keep it one there but still let it come off with a quick soak in water.

·
Registered
848 Posts
So silly question its kinda related, I decided against rocksett on a mb556k on a barrel that uses a jamnut. I will be getting a can when I can afford one.

SERIOUSLY jealous of the aboundunce of SMEs that can tell me the answer, do I still need rocksett considering there is a jamnut?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
+1 on the Rocksett but you already figured that out. Torque should be 35 ft lb on 5/8 threads and 30 ft lb on 1/2 threads. AAC hasn't been consistent with what they recommend.

They were (AAC) in the old days - when I could call/email Mike Mers and get "the" answer..... alas .... "Freedom Group - you $uck!' ok rant off carry on

·
Registered
476 Posts
So silly question its kinda related, I decided against rocksett on a mb556k on a barrel that uses a jamnut. I will be getting a can when I can afford one.

SERIOUSLY jealous of the aboundunce of SMEs that can tell me the answer, do I still need rocksett considering there is a jamnut?
Say goodbye to the jam nut. Especially if you plan in canning it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts