21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Yikes!!!

·
Vendor
1,821 Posts
Ummm, just to check ... are you turning it the right way? Some standards have left hand threads. You don't have one of those do you? Or you didn't do a brain fart and are twisting it backwards, even though it has normal threads?

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't believe that this thing is reverse threaded. I have been trying to remove it by twisting it counter clockwise just as I did the other two. If it's reverse threaded I am going to bury my head in the sand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
another thought...might it have been "blind pinned" and welded over....i know some manufacturers do that for communist states like nj...lol and it could have been sold to a free state resident/distributor inadvertently... I've had ones done so well you couldn't see the spot unless held at the perfect angle in direct sunlight

·
Vendor
5,883 Posts
:th_sign0080: I hope you get that thing off Kam! I would have bet money that heating it up would allow you to twist it off. What the He!!.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Kam, I spend a bit of time on the 300BLK forum and AAC personel have chimed in numerous times that the reason they use rocksett is because it's resistant to heat up to 2,000 degrees Flexbar Rocksett High Temperature Thread Locking Compound 2oz so it will not come off if you heat up a barrel with a suppressor attached. Many have said soaking it in water and making sure you have the upper in a vice block and a ton of torque. if that doesn't work then really the best answer is to send it into AAC. I personally have never heard of anyone trying to dremel it off. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I had something rocksetted like a b***h on a barrel a few years back. The soak worked but it took more than one night. What I actually did was fill some water in a bucket in my garage and hung the gun (an AR in that case) from the garage ceiling butt stock up by some high test fishing line attached to a hook on the the garage ceiling. I hung it so that the offending muzzle device was submerged +1-2". No joy after 1 and 2 days but after 3 it went.

Not sure how typical that is and I am sure that there are a lot of variables in play, but that was my experience.

Unlike Loctite heating does not seem to work.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am attempting to contact AAC right now. It's not going well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kameron

If you have access to a ultrasonic machine …..using plain tap water may help….. I doubt heat will do it based on the nature of this ceramic adhesive
which I heard is rated up to 2000...

Been watching the forum for a while …haven't posted much… just wanted to repeat what I heard in the past….

This FN forum is better than 24 or Sons of Anarchy…. great folks…Hope I don't miss the next episode...

Think it out..Don't force it too hard…It will sort out….Lots of collective minds here!

Keep us posted...

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Kameron

If you have access to a ultrasonic machine …..using plain tap water may help….. I doubt heat will do it based on the nature of this ceramic adhesive
which I heard is rated up to 2000...

Been watching the forum for a while …haven't posted much… just wanted to repeat what I heard in the past….

This FN forum is better than 24 or Sons of Anarchy…. great folks…Hope I don't miss the next episode...

Think it out..Don't force it too hard…It will sort out….Lots of collective minds here!

Keep us posted...

Thanks for the suggestion but I have gone enough bouts with this thing that I am afraid that if I torque it any more I might bust the barrel retaining pin. I feel utterly defeated here.

I attempted to contact AAC by email and by phone starting at 11:00 A.M. This morning. My repeated voicemail messages nor my email has been responded to. Looks like AAC's reputation for poor customer service is holding true. I am giving them 24 hours since I first made contact until open a thread about thier poor customer service and F'd up muzzle device attachement procedures.

Reactions: Ajhiv

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let's go a different way for a second.

You say that you want to shoot with the Saker, correct?
How were you going to attach it?
If you do not already have a specific mounting plan, or are flexible, don't they make an adapter for that muzzle device and suppressor?

Yes, you should not have to work around someone elses screw up, but it might be an option.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is a ****ty situation. My Surefre is held down by rocksett and I had no problem removing it by boiling it, although it had a low round count. My bet is that there is carbon build up also around the flash hider threads and crown that is causing it to seize.

I also had another SF that was a pain in the ass to remove but once I did I found carbon was everywhere (even between the threads). I would suggest soaking it in some carbon cutting liquid then boiling it once again.

Don't heat it with a torch. Rocksett is not effected by heat. At most you are ruining the barrel by getting it to the point where it's red hot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't heat it with a torch. Rocksett is not effected by heat. At most you are ruining the barrel by getting it to the point where it's red hot.
Agree 100%. If Rocksett is rated to 2000 degrees it would mean you would have to get it hotter than 2000 degrees to cause a heat related failure and at those temps you are probably f******g up the barrel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rocksett's strength is high heat...so...forget the heat....water does help....soak it and leave it overnight, day or two....
use a good wrench,rubber mallet and smack it free....sounds like it may have been over torqued when installed....
I had an HK 33 same problem... Just stood it in the water bucket, toilet, or what you have....forget it a day or so....go workout some then smack or breaker bar the damn thing off....

·
Vendor
1,821 Posts
I'm surprised at all the water comments. You'd think if it was that tight, there is no room for water to get in there.

If you do try water, I'd add some hand dishwashing detergent, like Dawn, which breaks down the surface tension of the water and might help it seep into the gap a little easier.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Kameron what you are experiencing is typical of AAC uppers. We have dealt with hundreds of them and there are only two options. First soak it in water for over 24 hours and then use about 70 pounds of torque to get it off. Second cut slits in the muzzle device to release pressure.

We have broke a few barrel nuts and twisted gas tubes on about 3 rifles out of the 300+ we have had. AAC puts an entire tube of Rockset on the threads when all you need is one drop. Don't heat it up because that only makes it stronger.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Kameron what you are experiencing is typical of AAC uppers. We have dealt with hundreds of them and there are only two options. First soak it in water for over 24 hours and then use about 70 pounds of torque to get it off. Second cut slits in the muzzle device to release pressure.

We have broke a few barrel nuts and twisted gas tubes on about 3 rifles out of the 300+ we have had. AAC puts an entire tube of Rockset on the threads when all you need is one drop. Don't heat it up because that only makes it stronger.
thanks Jeremy. I am however fed up with it and I am going to send the stupid thing in for them to fix it. At this point I'm getting close to opening threads on several forums because they won't return my phone calls.

Fortunately I was just walking down the sidewalk and tripped over a MI 300blk pistol. I will play with it in the mean time.

Reactions: akitainu

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Good luck with them. AAC is down so many people that they can't keep up. I would be very surprised if you were able to get the rifle back from them before you leave.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts