FN Herstal Firearms banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Good luck with them. AAC is down so many people that they can't keep up. I would be very surprised if you were able to get the rifle back from them before you leave.
in light of this I am going to overlook my disgust at the situation and soak it over night. I will try again tomorrow night. I will not be purchasing a damned thing from AAC again. Sucks because it is a quality upper.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Damn....

Reactions: KameronTKelly

·
Registered
316 Posts
Kam,
been following this episode and this morning remembered a similar situation. In my case it was breaking loose gas lines in a fireplace that had been in place for 30 years. It seemed no amount of force had any effect. UNTIL: An old guy up the street told me to soak the fitting in BRAKE FLUID After a 24 hour soak a 10 year old could have undone that fitting.

·
Registered
757 Posts
It appears you're on your way, but I'll add this
1st-check the FH hasn't been pinned(I know this is kind of a given, but seeing that it came 2nd hand at least--you never know)

When I removed the FN ECP FH from the 13" barrel last summer, I did this:

Took DISTILLED water in a pyrex pitcher(fortunately the wife doesn't go in the garage too much or she would have been pissed I used her measuring cup---but it was usable after I washed it, unlike when she used my nice saudering gun as a chisel to open a coconut-still haven't forgiven her for that one)

• _Heat said water to boiling in the Microwave
  • _Soak the Fh end, fully immersed in the water over night, checked and still couldn't get it off.
  • _Repeat with fresh distilled water, heat, soak over night- I think i actually soaked for about 4 days!
  • _Repeated for about an hour before I was determined to make the FH break up with the barrel and go out with me
  • _I then took a block of wood(pine--too soft, Oak--too brittle, I don't know exactly what kind of wood it was but its very white, extremely dense, came used to strap some heavy boxes of tile or something to it and I've used it in a 12 ton press with out splitting it.)
  • _Drill (3/4" hole in the approx. 3x3 block I cut and split the block down the center length of the hole--size of hole and block depend on the barrel, but you want it too be between perfect and slightly tight)
  • _Cut the block to fit the section of barrel you wish to clamp( the best place in my case was the 2.5-3" section between gas block and the FH) your going to have to be the judge on this one-I'd avoid any tapered down area for obvious reasons and try not to put heavy torque or pressure on any pinned gas-block.
  • _When I fit the barrel in a 4" or larger vise, I put a .25" small steel plate on either side of the block of wood that surrounded the barrel--to prevent the vise from creating a pressure point on the wood block and splitting it.
  • _Fitting and adjusting with a pinch of cussing and pinching fingers, etc. and I was able to clamp it up extremely tight and then use the biggest wrench I had on it while holding the barrel with another wrench or soft-jawed HD pliers/ clamps, obvious, I know but don't use any adjustable wrench
  • _I think one of the keys here is the soaking for an extremely long time( allowing the water to work it's way in there) I know you said your time was limited so that maybe a factor on whether or not you are going to have enough time to work on it. Changing the water every day with fresh HOT distilled water will help wash away any oils, etc. you've sprayed in there already--which I would avoid because it will prevent the water from soaking into the Rocset

Credit goes to Talhoffer and I believe HK and Jim for this info, they've repeated it many times on the forum.

Reactions: KameronTKelly

·
Vendor
1,821 Posts
I wonder if soaking it in honey might work. I remember talking to some packaging guys who said honey was one of the most difficult things to package because the surface tension is so low that even microscopic scratches on the sealing surface was enough for the honey to wick its way through.

Might be similar to the brake fluid idea. I really wonder if water, which has high surface tension, will want to wick its way into those small gaps between the threads.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
It's done!!!!! Soaked it for 4 days and a monkey wrench was involved. Turns out the 51 teeth are perfect monkey wrench gripping material. It still took a considerable amount of torque but it is done. Thanks for all your help fellahs really.

A week late and 7 dollars short AAC sent me an email. Told me why they used a whole bottle of rockset and asked me to send it to them. Told me they were changing addresses so I had to get it out fast so it didn't end up at the wrong place. Too little too late I'm afraid. I won't be patroning AAC any longer.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Kam, glad that sucker went. I think 4 day soak might be a new record, but taken with my experience (3 days) and I am sure that of others the lesson here for everyone:

the water soak technique for Rocksett might take days, but it will eventually work.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I hadn't seen this till now but good you got it off, another way that works it to heat the mount up and smack the face of the mount hard a few times with a brass hammer. Trust me I did not want to do it but no other way was working and my mount had damn near a whole bottle of rocksett on it. Couple of minutes of heat followed by a few good smacks and the mount moaned and squalled but it threaded off. :th_phew:Rocksett is a ceramic adhesive and what I was told in the heating and expanding of the metal along with the shock from the brass hammer fractures the Rocksett.

Nothing more aggravating than trying to remove a mount and not damage the barrel. Maybe this also will help someone in the future with a pain in the a$$ mount.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I hadn't seen this till now but good you got it off, another way that works it to heat the mount up and smack the face of the mount hard a few times with a brass hammer. Trust me I did not want to do it but no other way was working and my mount had damn near a whole bottle of rocksett on it. Couple of minutes of heat followed by a few good smacks and the mount moaned and squalled but it threaded off. :th_phew:Rocksett is a ceramic adhesive and what I was told in the heating and expanding of the metal along with the shock from the brass hammer fractures the Rocksett.

Nothing more aggravating than trying to remove a mount and not damage the barrel. Maybe this also will help someone in the future with a pain in the a$$ mount.
I'm sure it will help folks in the future. If I had this thread earlier I could have saved a lot of time and frustration. One way or the other we can get these devices off. Best not to depend on a manufacturer who is absent one week after contact. I hope this thread lives on.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts