FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a release of German police pistol P7 on the market right now, bringing the price down, although it is still an expensive gun at $800 or so. Does anyone on the forum own one? I have always liked them, though never shot one. I don't want to miss out BUT they are expensive compared to other 9mm. Is any one else jumping on the deals?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the newer P7M8 model that I got new many years ago. Its one sweet shooting pistol.
Actually prefer the older PSP for concelled carry as it doesn't have the protruding mag release levers.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
What do you want it for? Investment or carry? I traded for a non-import about a month ago.

I consider the Grade B and C Police imports a good carry gun and would try to find one of those for 500 dollars or so. You're gonna put wear on it anyway, no need spending more than you have to just for bluing. Get a B or even a C and put new springs and pins in it.

I may pay 800 for an import gun in really excellent 90%+ condition. But it's hard to tell if the Grade A guns are that good just looking at pictures... most of them fuzzy. If I bought one, I don't think I would carry it.

If you really want an investment gun I suggest looking for a non-import P7 in very good condition. (1000.00+ easy) It will have a higher value than the police imports. But if you look long enough you will find a deal on one. Watch the HK and P7 sights.

The problem with P7's is that it's hard to own just one. :grin: You end up wanting an investment gun, a carry gun, a carry gun with the other mag release, an import, a domestic, etc.

"Grade A" to an Importer trying to make a killing on his investment may not be Grade A to you and me. I could not find a Grade A import locally and would not buy one without seeing it up close so I didn't buy an import.

The gun stores I spoke to said there were not that many Grade A guns coming in and most were bought up before they even got here. I suspect there are more than a few dishonest people out there selling Grade B or C models as A models. I didn't want to pay 800 dollars for a 500 dollar gun.

I bought a mid 80's model P7 non-import. (Meaning it is not a used German Police gun) It was made here, or at least assembled here, but it does have the "European" mag release like the German Police guns. Mine is like a P7E but it doesn't have the E on the side.

I traded for mine. It is about 90% condition, it has a little holster wear. It was the carry gun of a gun store owner here in town. He knew how to care for it. I got the gun, two mags, a bunch of AR parts that I needed and he didn't, and free labor on the restoration of two Argentine 1911 Police imports that I have. I gave away a SIG P220 carry and a Kahr PM9 in the trade.

The AR parts were about 300 dollars worth.
The labor on the two 1911's must be well over 300 dollars. He restored one to "original" condition and the other we customized. I don't know exactly how many hours he worked on my guns but he did a lot of work, I'll post pics when they are completely done.

I had about 1400 invested in the two guns I traded away, so I guess I "paid" about 800 or less for my non-import. I wasn't going to do it, but then he tossed in the free labor on the 1911's, so I did.

I am happy with that. I have no intention of carrying it though. It was more of a "novelty investment" trade for me.

I figured having the imports out there would increase the value of the non-imports. Hope I'm right.

TA

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
An H&K P-7 is an itch a lover of fine pistols should scratch. They are unique and interesting.
They shoot quite well but heat up comparatively quickly - you won't want to shoot more than 75 to 100 rds without letting it cool. In a CCW or Normal Carry it's not an issue - how many rounds to you carry with you? But it can be for extended practice sessions. Bring an extra pistol with you and shoot it while your P-7 cools.
I bought one of the Police trade-ins for $500 less than a new one. I'm glad I did and may end up with another while they are available, they won't be forever. You'll probably kick yourself a few years from now if you don't get one while they are reasonably priced.......................DJ

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Nice find!

TA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts