FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out my 45 out to the range a couple of weeks ago and after about 150rds or so on the last round, the slide did not lock back. I pressed the mag release and the mag would not drop out. I pressed it again and was able to pull the mag out. I set that mag out to the side and used the other mags and the problem didn't happen with them. I inserted the initial mag back in and the slide would not stay locked back. I came home cleaned and lubed the gun, cycled all three mags and it didn't do it any more. Could it have been just dirty? If so why only with one mag? There doesn't seem to be any visual damage to that mag. It looks just like the other two.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Possibly that particular magazine was dirty or had something stuck in it. If the follower was not able to travel all the way up to the top of the magazine, it wouldn't push the slide stop up to hold the slide rearward. All the other mags would work. After you disassembled and cleaned the magazine, the dirt or jam may have come out. As far as the magazine not releasing, "hypothetically" if the follower was jammed a little bit it wouldn't have the spring tension pressing against the slide, in turn it may not have popped out like you may be used to. Just my guess, but hey I'm just a dumb electrician. :?

·
Banned
93 Posts
If the malfunction is only happening with a single mag. it is definatly the mags. fault and not the guns.

Clean and lube the mag. and check it for proper spring tension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Diagnosis for Slide Lock Problem

Had the same slide lock problem after the same number of rounds, and dirt isn't the problem. I reported the problem to FN customer service with a photo of the malfunction condition but received no reply.

The squarish portion on the left side of the magazine follower has only a couple mm's of contact with the tab on the left fork of the slide lock. begins to wear in the squarish area of the left side where this area lifts up on the slide lock after the last round chambers. The result?--The squarish area flips past the bottom of the tab on the left fork of the slide lock and gets jammed against the tab, making the magazine difficult to release. Removing the magazine without locking the slide back and un-sticking the follower scrapes the left side of the squarish portion and makes it more likely to slip past the slide lock the next time.

I ordered a new follower from FN's parts department in Missouri. They sent me a new one free of charge. Regular charge is $2 plus $8 shipping.

Hope my other maggies hold up better. A metal follower or more surface area contact between tabe and follower are probably the permanent remedy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
H&K 4 LIFE said:
Clean and lube the mag. and check it for proper spring tension.
Yes, clean the mag but don't lube. All that the lubrication of a magazine accomplishes is creating a large dirt magnet.

--
Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Picture--Magazine Follower Slips Past the Slide Lock Tang

Here's a link and a good good photo for my post elsewhere showing how the magazine folloer slips past the slide tang causing the slide lock to malfunction and the magazine to jam in the gun. My other two magazines have more purchase on the slide lock tang and haven't shown any problems as yet.

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=8552&highlight=fnp45

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
i usually like to clean my mags every 1000 rounds or so....may be a bit excessive but i dont think it hurts anything to keep every thing in perfect order :?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, thats actually what I noticed when I looked at the mags. one of them was worn just slightly more than the other two. when I mean slightly I mean like BARELY visible. didn't think that wold be the problem, but after taking the gun apart and inspecting it and your description, it makes perfect sense. thanks for the explanation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts