FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a stovepipe at the range today. But it was my some ammo I loaded and was testing. It almost stovepiped a couple other times when the case got flung forward by the slide (forward and to my left). I could tell it was slightly on the weak side.

I was using 5.9 gr Unique with a 230 gr plated round nose bullet. Caused one stove pipe, but otherwise ran fine. My 1911 and FNX 45 Tac seem to both really like 6.0 gr of Unique with that bullet.

Also tested out 6.1 gr, but accuracy wasn't quite as good as what I was getting with the 6.0 gr, but I'll try it again and run both loads side-by-side, but I'll likely just stick with the 6.0 gr load. I'll post up some pictures of a couple of my targets tomorrow once I get them off my phone.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Very interesting. 6.0 and 6.1 is the top of the load range for unique right? Is it possible you could have limp wristed it some? Or does the FNX TAC. take hotter ammo than my FNP USG?

Those loads just seem pretty stout to cause that, don't you think? Or no?

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They didn't feel stout. And that's not the top range for Unique either. I think minimum was 5.7 or 5.8 for FMJ ammo. The 6.0 and 6.1 felt pretty close to factory ammo.

And I highly doubt I limp wristed it (I've never had a pistol stove pipe before aside from a P238 I had for a short time, and I think I just put weak, crappy ammo in that - and one of the cases wound up getting ripped).

According to Unique's site, 6.5 gr is the max (although that's for a TMJ round, not plated). Berry's site suggests using low to mid-range jacketed bullet data.

I was using a Hornady Auto trickler, so a couple of the rounds might have been a touch light (but all the loads I checked on the balance scale were good).

Reactions: Donnie

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
OK, your right. I checked two references and 6.5 is the top. I had 6.1 in my notebook... probably to keep from getting two close to the max i guess.

I want a new measurer. I have the Lee "perfect" powder measurer, and it is less than perfect. it can fluctuate .1- .3 tenths from load to load. I started measuring every load for better consistancy because of that. before i only measured every 3rd or 4th load.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For an auto trickler, the Hornady is nice and can be found for under $200 (heard the RCBS one is better, but that is $300). I'm using all of my buddies stuff except for dies. He has an RCBS 5-0-1 (or something like that) as well for a balance scale and it is very consistent and much much better than the Lee scale (he also has that as well)

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
#1 and #2 were 10 yards, #4 was 20 yards, shots were 1 second or less apart. (these were 6.1 gr of Unique, didn't take pics of the 5.9, but similar groups)
IMG_20140416_135435.jpg
IMG_20140416_135439.jpg
IMG_20140416_135447.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
You load to 6.5gr of Unique and 230gr bullets and you will definitely feel it. I sold off my FNX 45 but I am running 6.5gr Unique and 230gr plated FMJ in my Sig P220 and 1911, it's a stout load and I would recommend staying below that. Bullseye worked better (Tighter groups) in my FNX 45 but I don't have my load data here to tell you what powder charge I was running, if I recall is was lower that what my Sig likes.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
OK, your right. I checked two references and 6.5 is the top. I had 6.1 in my notebook... probably to keep from getting two close to the max i guess.

I want a new measurer. I have the Lee "perfect" powder measurer, and it is less than perfect. it can fluctuate .1- .3 tenths from load to load. I started measuring every load for better consistancy because of that. before i only measured every 3rd or 4th load.
I looked at several power droppers and for a manual these have been the best. HARRELL Powder Measures & Dispensers | Powder Handling at Sinclair Inc

I pick them up and have been very happy, it very consistent throw to throw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts