FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Microsoft Router kept resetting itself sooner and sooner - and would require me to unplug it and replug it. Yesterday, it was doing this every 5 min, so I finally broke down and got a new router.

I got a Linksys wireless router for $49.99.

It works when I just plug it in to my desktop via ethernet - but if I configure anything to turn off the any of the wireless setting, then the internet stops working - I end up having to reset the router with the reset button to make it work again.

Strange...

But at least it works fine and doesn't reset... At least as long as I don't mess with that (signing in to MSN messenger would reset the damn Microsoft router 50% of the time since the day I got it)

I do have a wireless card for my laptop, but for now, its hooked up via the Ethernet too. So, I want to be able to turn off the wireless feature to keep anyone from using it (a neighbor, etc)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I threw away my Lynksys having connection problems way too many times. I have a Netgear wireless router now and have no problems. I have read that Lynksys home products quality have really deteriorated in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I got it to work now. Only difference - I used a different browser (Opera instead of Firefox) to change the router settings.

I turned wireless off, and also picked a long password (just in case) - this time, access via ethernet cables is still working after I did that.

So, I am good.

Man, that Microsoft router was garbage.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Linksys are fine. I have bought three so far since they came in to production... the first thing they teach you about electronic devices is they all have a TTL(time to live) a number of hours of operation till failure just FYI :)

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
It's funny how some people have good luck with something that others have hell with.

I use a Wireless Linksys at home and several at the office set on different channels. I've never had any issues with them. I have some that are years old and some are not 6 months old yet.

We had used some Symbol ones in the past but they were way over priced. But they worked well.

Last week I picked up a NetGear because the last couple of laptops we bought have "N" cards in them and I wanted to utilize the speed. The store I was at did not have a "N" Linksys but they had a NetGear so I thought I would give it a try.

The NetGear has been a piece of junk. If I go into configure mode using a browser and leave, the wireless quits working. I have to go unplug it and plug it back in two or three times before the wireless kicks back in. And when it does work, it won't talk to both G and N cards at the same time. So I had to set it to N only.

TA

·
Registered
636 Posts
OK guys try this next time it craps out because you are all having the same issue.. i think your lease on DHCP is running out.. So you have to renew it by going in to network connections disable network connection and then enable it and wait for it to recive a new address first go here

right click your current connection

then where it says disable will change to enable.. then click that and you will have renewed your DHCP address give it a try is quicker then restarting or reseting your router just FYI if you have any questions just ask .....

·
Registered
62 Posts
When it comes to routers I have to say that Ive had just the opposite experience than most of you guys here. We had a Linksys wireless-G router (before MIMO and all that jazz). That was worthless. My room was no more than 70 feet away and it could only access the router about once every 2 minutes, for a 30 second period. I tried everything I could! To no avail. Then we bought a Microsoft wireless G and Ive still got that one to this day, its about 2 and a half years old. Ive got a Netgear too, bought it at a garage sale for 50 cents (unopened) as backup, as Ive heard everywhere that theyre dependable. We'll have to see when my Microsoft router goes out...

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
My issues are not DHCP related that I can tell. The routers themselves have static IP's on the network, and the DHCP services are turned off. So we are really just using them as pass thru access points not actual routers. The NetGear just turns off it's wireless after you access it in admin mode.

Weird.

TA

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the Linksys is working great so far. Haven't had the Internet connection drop at all since installing it. Also, I actually have a slightly faster connection rate/download speed with it than I did with the old Microsoft router.

So, I am happy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Shipwreck, I am a big fan of the Linksys routers, I have an older WRT45G. I highly recommend the DD-WRT firmware on it. It originally went with the 3rd party firmware because the QOS on the linksys was terrible for my Vonage to run. The DD-WRT firmware kicks butt for all of the options you get. The only part I don't like is the initial flashing of the firmware. It can be unsettling to risk bricking a router, but they are a lot cheaper now then when I bought it. The newer routers have less space to flash, so they usually have different instructions to flash then what mine had. I did one new one and it has one extra step involved.
The only issue that I have is when I would have my mail open, IE open, and one other program that downloads (don't remember which) all running at the same time, it would stop working until I rebooted the router. I don't think it was a firmware issue, because my brother had the same issue with his old Linksys router with Linksys firmware (not even wireless router). I scheduled a cron job to reboot the router every morning now just to flush out anything that would screw it up.
If you are electronically inclined, you can solder in a SD slot to upload small additional programs to an SD card for running on the router. Things like hotspot programs to setup internet access for outsiders.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I scheduled a cron job to reboot the router every morning now just to flush out anything that would screw it up.
Or if it's like my Linksys router you can just traceroute something on the other side of it and it will reboot.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
well, I got it to work now. Only difference - I used a different browser (Opera instead of Firefox) to change the router settings.
I have the same issue with my router's web interface not working with firefox. I have to use IE to get the settings to save correctly. The issue is in the coding standards used to develop their software. Lame, but common.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts