FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always read the forum just never needed to make a profile 'till now. I just got a PS90 and I've always had to take apart and clean and study the internals of a new gun. While cleaning the trigger pack in order to wipe down the inside I decided to gut it out and reassemble the trigger pack. Thankfully I didn't completely take everything out. I punched out a pin and then a spring practically stabbed in my hand. I stopped myself and remembered two past experiences (A HK-91 trigger pack disassembly and a browning BAR safari takedown) and thought I better make sure I can get that back in before going farther......two hours later I still can't do it. I can't fid any videos or posts online anywhere with clear instructions or help. A picture is worth a thousand words so here are two.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the second picture (bottom of pack) showing a piece of the broken spring stuck in the disconnector? Is that where the straight leg of the spring supposed to go?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Always read the forum just never needed to make a profile 'till now. I just got a PS90 and I've always had to take apart and clean and study the internals of a new gun. While cleaning the trigger pack in order to wipe down the inside I decided to gut it out and reassemble the trigger pack. Thankfully I didn't completely take everything out. I punched out a pin and then a spring practically stabbed in my hand. I stopped myself and remembered two past experiences (A HK-91 trigger pack disassembly and a browning BAR safari takedown) and thought I better make sure I can get that back in before going farther......two hours later I still can't do it. I can't fid any videos or posts online anywhere with clear instructions or help. A picture is worth a thousand words so here are two.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok great that helps some. But where /how is the spring actually supposed to sit on the disconnecter ? How does the bent leg of the spring sit? Under the rearmost pin?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Ok great that helps some. But where /how is the spring actually supposed to sit on the disconnecter ? How does the bent leg of the spring sit? Under the rearmost pin?
I suppose it's a little late to say it but there is no need to take it apart for cleaning. (Owners manual)

Reactions: Merlin

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Using a zip tie to hold the legs of the spring together (once compressed) helps a great deal. The part in your second picture is the dead pin that holds that sear and retaining pin together so you cannot take the sear out.

The leg of the pin rests in the slot on the bottom right of the sear if you are looking toward the rear of the pack. The other leg rests in the slot on the left of the rear of the pack.

If you cannot get it back together, it is a $45.00 call to FN to have them send you a new pack. The zip tie really helps though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did try a zip tie but it keeps slipping around and un-compressing itself. At this point I'm ready to just buy a new pack.
Will FN send me a pack like I have or a new gen4? Mine is a 3 correct? Will my carbine work with a gen4 ?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Mine is a 3 correct? Will my carbine work with a gen4 ?
Correct, and yes.

And you never know what you'll get, they might send you a Gen 2.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I did try a zip tie but it keeps slipping around and un-compressing itself. At this point I'm ready to just buy a new pack.
Will FN send me a pack like I have or a new gen4? Mine is a 3 correct? Will my carbine work with a gen4 ?
Get the zip tie zipped up to a small circumference. Once done, clip off the excess tie.

Then you have to get the tie around the ends of the spring so it does not slide up. The ends of the spring should be just inside of the zip tie so the ends of the spring actually do not extend outside of the zip tie thus keeping it from sliding up.

It is a bit of trial and error but it does works once you can get it done.

if you like, you can send me your pack and I will get it back together for you. (As long as nothing has been modified or broken)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get the zip tie zipped up to a small circumference. Once done, clip off the excess tie.

Then you have to get the tie around the ends of the spring so it does not slide up. The ends of the spring should be just inside of the zip tie so the ends of the spring actually do not extend outside of the zip tie thus keeping it from sliding up.

if you like, you can send me your pack and I will get it back together for you. (As long as nothing has been modified or broken)
Pack was $48; shipping brought it up to $56. Man said to expect it in 4-5days.

Thanks. I will try the zip tie trick this evening again. If I still can't get it I will PM you and see about sending it to you.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Thanks. I will try the zip tie trick this evening again. If I still can't get it I will PM you and see about sending it to you.
No worries, a backup pack is always a good thing

·
Registered
252 Posts

I'm surprised they hve any In stock: they have been out of stock for a while last I checked. In fact, I just called parts and they dont have any in stock, "80 pack in back order" the person said it's been a while

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm surprised they hve any In stock: they have been out of stock for a while last I checked. In fact, I just called parts and they dont have any in stock, "80 pack in back order" the person said it's been a while
One of those 80 on back order is a spare for mine,. I called yesterday after reading this thread, and the CS Rep responded: "approximately 2-3 months out". At $56 shipped, I can wait. Flea-bay and Gun-poker are charging >$200 for a gen4 pack when they occasionally pop-up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
"Pack was $48; shipping brought it up to $56. Man said to expect it in 4-5days."

""approximately 2-3 months out". At $56 shipped, I can wait. "

just saying ...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
One of those 80 on back order is a spare for mine,. I called yesterday after reading this thread, and the CS Rep responded: "approximately 2-3 months out". At $56 shipped, I can wait. Flea-bay and Gun-poker are charging >$200 for a gen4 pack when they occasionally pop-up.
I think that's because it's damn hard to get a Gen IV pack. When I ordered mine a few months ago I received a Gen III.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I took a couple days away from it to calm down and not be aggravated at it. I tried the zip tie a few more times but the sprig would twist around while tied. Anyway I put the hammer pack in a vise and that helped a ton and did some wiggle, jiggle, pinch, pull, cuss and fuss and I finaly got that cotton pickin spring in the right position. Reassembled the carbine and just stepped outside and busted off a half dozen rounds. Everything working like it's supposed too.

Thanks for the help guys. I will let y'all know what generation hammer pack I get so the folks who just ordered one can compare.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts