FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 505 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
First off, there will be no talk of making your gun auto or any illegal talk!! You will be banned with no warning if you do!! :(!):

Secondly, I think we need a thread to show what the different trigger packs look like and a brief description of the differences. So can someone please post up pics of the different packs. We will discuss it to make sure everything is correct, and I will sticky the thread ;)

Please include a picture of the inside of the pack, not just the color and underneath explain what makes this one different.

PS. if there is already a thread about this, please post a link here so I can review it ;)

Thanks, MP.

Thanks go to M1P90, JHS, and artanscience for their help ;)

Generation 2 (Grey Housing with Black Hammer)

A) Auto Sear
B) Hammer
C) Front Sear.
D) Rear Sear

Pack Parts.jpg

The things that changed between generations:
1) pack body color (black then gray)
2) hammer shape and color (black then gray or white)
3) front sear shape and color (OD green then gray)
4) presence of auto sear (present in all generations except gen 4)

Now, using this system, I will define the generations:

Gen 1: Black pack body, black hammer (some very early ones may have an orange hammer), OD green front sear, auto sear present.
Gen 2: Gray pack body, black hammer, OD green or gray front sear, auto sear present.
Gen 3: Gray pack body, gray hammer, gray front sear, auto sear present.
Gen 4: Gray pack body, black, gray, or white hammer, gray front sear, no auto sear. (As JHS mentioned, the hammer in a Gen 4 may actually be black but the defining characteristic is that there is no auto sear.)

As you can see, there are some variations, so the real evolution is defined by:
Gen 1 to Gen 2: Old, black P90 style pack body to the gray pack body. Some Gen 2s get the gray front sear.
Gen 2 to Gen 3: Black hammer replaced with gray (or sometimes white) hammer and all front sears are now gray.
Gen 3 to Gen 4: The auto sear is removed. With this change, FN apparently began to use a variety of internal color variations, but all front sears will remain gray.

Now, I have added some of my own pics and stolen some of the ones JHS and MP190 posted to make a complete photo list:smile::

Gen 1:
Gen 1.jpg
Gen 2:

Gen 3:

Gen 4:
Gen 4.jpg

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Generation 2, grey body and black internal parts.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Generation 3, grey body with grey and black internal parts.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Generation 4, grey body can have grey, black, or a combo of grey and black internal parts. The auto sear is removed.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Since I've been handling a lot of trigger packs I've noticed 5 distinct types. I have pictures of all five types I'll have to post ASAP. I've never seen the all black one, so that would make a 6th type. I have a PS90 who's serial # indicates it is one of the first thousand, and it's not black. Are black ones limited to the first couple hundred units? Does anyone on here have a black one?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
The three main things when people are seperating the packs into generations are the body color, having the auto sear, and the hammer type.

I should say the three main things collectors are looking for. :biggrin:

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
Since I've been handling a lot of trigger packs I've noticed 5 distinct types. I have pictures of all five types I'll have to post ASAP. I've never seen the all black one, so that would make a 6th type. I have a PS90 who's serial # indicates it is one of the first thousand, and it's not black. Are black ones limited to the first couple hundred units? Does anyone on here have a black one?
This is mine from my first purchase in 2007. It is black but it looks like the sear is very dark green.

Hammer Pack 505.jpg

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
That would be a Gen 1. :biggrin:

Got mine in 2006 and it came with a Gen 2.
I bought my first one "used" but it had never been fired. Ser # is FN0315XX.

Yup, so now I have a Gen I and a Gen II from MWGW. Still need a Gen III or IV so if I have to send in the firearm to FN for service, I can swap out my Gen I or II pack to make sure it does not get "replaced" by them.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Buffman, can you post a photo of the top down view of that???

Thanks

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

owner described: lower sear is kinda grey but darker and burnt around the edges not the od green
one and not the newer grey kind,

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Hammer Pack Discussion Thread

I am confused as hell, I have a new just manufactured L.E. PS90 Standard. The trigger pack appears to be a Gen 3. The auto sear is black. From the posted pictures it appears that the parts in a Gen 2 and Gen 3 are identical except for color.

Am I correct?

If I'm correct, what is the rough "blow it out the door" value of this pack?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am confused as hell, I have a new just manufactured L.E. PS90 Standard. The trigger pack appears to be a Gen 3. The auto sear is black. From the posted pictures it appears that the parts in a Gen 2 and Gen 3 are identical except for color.

Am I correct?

Way more than just color. Your gen 3 is worth whatever a new hammer pack from FN parts would be.

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts

Am I correct?

The Gen III hammer has the engagement "notch" for the auto sear cut higher on it. However, I can not say with certainty that all GEN III packs have the same hammer configuration.

And $75 is the going price for ALL hammer packs, however some people will pay over $1000 for a Gen I or II pack.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Gen 2.

1 - 20 of 505 Posts