FN Herstal Firearms banner
501 - 520 of 535 Posts

·
Administrator
12,297 Posts
There is no Gen 4. What was thought to be a Gen 4 was a Gen 3 with the auto sear remo ed, and probably sold. Functionally, they all operate the same. The Gen 3 hammer was cut higher to prevent manipulation of the pack to fire in auto mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no Gen 4. What was thought to be a Gen 4 was a Gen 3 with the auto sear remo ed, and probably sold. Functionally, they all operate the same. The Gen 3 hammer was cut higher to prevent manipulation of the pack to fire in auto mode.
Yeah, I'd never later it, I'm just considering the differences from a value-retention perspective. Thank you very much for your help and explanation. I appreciate it.

·
Administrator
12,297 Posts
Members have PM'ed me to identity the differences between the Generations of the Hammer Packs for the PS90. I have written extensively about it but there is still some confusion as to what exactly constitutes a Gen 1 from a Gen 2 or a Gen 3 Hammer Pack and pictures were requested. So here is the definitive show and tell.

Here is the short of it:

Gen 1 Hammer Pack has the post on the bottom of the primary sear.
Gen 2 Hammer Pack has the shelf on the bottom of the primary sear.
Gen 3 Hammer Pack has the shelf on the bottom of the primary sear and the hammer has the notch cut higher on the rotational axis of the hammer.

What does this mean? Full explanation is below with pictures to clarify the parts that have been changed resulting in generational identifications.

Generation 1 - the Original Hammer Pack.

Post on the bottom of the primary sear. See the post on the bottom of the primary sear where the return spring sits? This "post" is what makes it a Gen 1 Hammer Pack.

Generation 2 - The New and Improved Hammer Pack (first design change).

The "shelf" on the bottom of the primary sear instead of the "post". The "shelf" will automatically return the arm of the return spring back to the "notch" it needs to be in to make the primary sear function as it should.

Generation 3 - The Second and Final Design Change (hopefully).

The "notch" in the hammer has been moved, or cut "higher" on the rotational axis as seen in the picture above. Notice the notch locations between the hammers. Top hammer (from Man Kave) is an after market Gen 1 hammer, bottom hammer is factory Gen 3 hammer. What does the placement of the notch do? The "notch" position on the hammer defeats the function of the "auto sear" being used as an "automatic sear". The "auto sear" is the sear that sits and rotates on the first pin in the hammer pack.

So in summary:

Gen 3 Hammer Pack has the shelf on the bottom of the primary sear and the hammer has the notch cut higher on the rotational axis of the hammer.

ATF does not take kindly to anyone violating the law which can mean 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Members have PM'ed me to identity the differences between the Generations of the Hammer Packs for the PS90. I have written extensively about it but there is still some confusion as to what exactly constitutes a Gen 1 from a Gen 2 or a Gen 3 Hammer Pack and pictures were requested. So here is the definitive show and tell.

Here is the short of it:

So in summary:

ATF does not take kindly to anyone violating the law which can mean 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine
Excellent summary!!!

Tony

·
Registered
2 Posts

Here is the short of it:

What does this mean? Full explanation is below with pictures to clarify the parts that have been changed resulting in generational identifications.

View attachment 137900

Post on the bottom of the primary sear. See the post on the bottom of the primary sear where the return spring sits? This "post" is what makes it a Gen 1 Hammer Pack.

View attachment 137901

The "shelf" on the bottom of the primary sear instead of the "post". The "shelf" will automatically return the arm of the return spring back to the "notch" it needs to be in to make the primary sear function as it should.

View attachment 137902

The "notch" in the hammer has been moved, or cut "higher" on the rotational axis as seen in the picture above. Notice the notch locations between the hammers. Top hammer (from Man Kave) is an after market Gen 1 hammer, bottom hammer is factory Gen 3 hammer. What does the placement of the notch do? The "notch" position on the hammer defeats the function of the "auto sear" being used as an "automatic sear". The "auto sear" is the sear that sits and rotates on the first pin in the hammer pack.

So in summary:

Here is the short of it:

View attachment 137900

View attachment 137901

View attachment 137902

So in summary:

okay so I see that the gen 3s have the higher notch cut, but why am I seeing so many pics of the gen 3 hammers with 2 notches in them? one higher than the other. is the lower notch cut in or is it factory? and would this lower notch cut make it fuction like the gen 1/2s

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am such a n00b! Totally glazed over the "shelf" pictures. Bad user!
I will check when I get back home. I don't have that one with me.

It's interesting to know that as of three years ago, FN still used the 1st gen trigger pack in the P90s, though.

Thank you Sir, I'll check the grey one.

·
Administrator
12,297 Posts
P90s have a FA hammer pack. There is a difference between P90 and PS90 hammer packs that are not addressed in the above post.

A FA hammer pack has a primary sear with ears on it and the slit on the side of the hammer pack is a shorter cut. This prevents the P90 hammer pack from being used in the PS90 stock. If these are P90 hammer packs, this thread does not apply.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't argue the lack of a need to change trigger pack designs for the P90.

Looks like mine is a gen2.
Also, PS90 pack seems to fit in the P90 just fine.

Yup. Doesn't have that slit rail, so it doesn't care.

·
Administrator
12,297 Posts
Yes, a PS90 hammer pack will fit a P90 stock. A P90 hammer pack will not fit into a PS90 stock without modifications. Look at the slit on the left side front. They are different lengths to prevent the FA P90 pack from being fully inserted into the PS90 stock.

501 - 520 of 535 Posts