FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading reviews on the FNP 45 and plan on getting one as soon as I got the cash to do so. But I read this review done by Greg Rodriguez of handgun magazine and he says qoute, "My only other complaint was that the decocking lever is easy to hit inadvertently. This won't take the pistol out of action, but unexpectedly going from single to double action is unnerving and can't be good for accuracy, either. I doubt FN will move that lever, but designers could make it smaller without much difficulty."
Is this guy just blowing smoke or what? Is this really an issue I should worry about? This has just been eating at me for a while especially since I only got pictures to look at.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Opinions are like ***holes. Everyone's got one. If everyone actually did what these writers suggested we would all probably be using Hi-Points.

But on a serious level this is actually the first time I have anyone say anything negative about the de-cocking lever. I actually wish that they would have given that same lever or similar one to the rest of the FNP's to make it a little more contoured to the pistol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
only listen to magazine reviews, if you actually believe they are un-biased..... and thats NEVER THE CASE..... you dont think they have stipulations on all the ADVERTISeMENT contracts they have with the guns that are on every other page....

go to a gun shop that sells FNP, and ask the guys there what they think.... or go to the RANGE and ask people there...... they arnt pushing guns like the people that write reviews

·
Registered
109 Posts
Stupid comment, The only way that would happen is if you were one of those 1911 shooters who ride the safety which is an arcahic habit. In my mind the slide release is the weak point, they need to add a lump llike on the glock extended so you can push DOWN and not IN to drop the slide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Save the money and buy it. Got mine last Sunday at a gun show and I can't keep enough 45's at the house. That's one disadvantage about being able to shoot in the back yard. Then again it really isn't a disadvantage. I haven't had a bit of trouble with the decocker. and neither has a couple of buddies that have shot it. Shooting right handed no problem with the mag release but shooting left handed I can't always find it without looking. From 15 to 70 yards it practally shoots itself. I have a steel target that's 6 X 10 and all you hear is ping ping ping.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the input! That writer does mainly shoot 1911s so he probably has a biased view. When I get the FNP 45 I wiil post some comments after I take it to the range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FNP-45

That Writer is just writing... its NONSENSE!! Shot one the other week (along with the FNP-9) at an 'sales demo'... FANTASTIC GUN!! Great quality, 'big-gun' feel, and one of the softest recoils I've ever felt on a .45!... Was tempted, but bought the 9mm... Love targeting and simply didn't want to spend about $25-30 for 50-box of .45s.... They were selling it on sale for $525... good price but I got the 9mm for $425+.
If a .45 is what you want you won't go wrong with that FNP-45!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks guys for the input! That writer does mainly shoot 1911s so he probably has a biased view. When I get the FNP 45 I wiil post some comments after I take it to the range.
I'll duck and cover after this comment, but 1911 shooters shouldn't be allowed to review other handguns. Every 1911 shooter that I have talked to are either old guys or they don't seem to have a clue. No other gun compares to their 7 shot wonder. Give me 13-14 rounds of .45 any day over a quintupple lapped hand fitted scandinavium alloy 1911 with 7 rounds. Hopefully with 2011 on its way, I won't have to hear how great that gun is for 100 years. They ONLY thing the 1911 has over most other .45s is the slimmer grip, but you pay for that in capacity.

If I ever get to hold a FNP-45 with both backstraps, I will probably want one more than anything. I think it's a fine looking gun and it will be of great quality being made by FNH. As long as that grip isn't too fat or big, I'll be sold. I need a .45 to replace the GLOCK 21 I sold. Of course, I could use one of those cowboy revolvers, they are technically the original .45

I think I read that same article and took it with a large grain of salt. They love to try and find something on the new kid to complain about. I think it was THAT article that got me to look at the FNP-9 that I eventually bought. Then the shooter's pack pushed me over the edge.

Gun-Tests magazines are the only ones to claim to be unbiased since they don't take advertisers. They ranked the FNP-40 low, part of their issue was also the decocker. I still rank my FNP-9 higher than my GLOCK 19, primarily because of the DA/SA action, and I've had the GLOCK 19 for a few years now (of course I haven't had it out since I picked up my GLOCK 26 the other year). The FNP-9 is the same size basically as my G19 with 16+1 rounds and DA/SA. What more is there? A smaller deckocking lever? BLAHHHH.

If the FNP-45 is a good fit for your hands, then don't hesitate to get one and just remember, it takes two 1911s to equal the firepower of one FNP-45.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a FNP-45 Sat , put 200 rounds through it yesterday, and the decocker wasn't an issue at all. In fact, when using the decocker I had to reach up with my thumb to get it. If this yahoo really did hit it while shooting, he must have one hell of a weird grip. :-? :roll:

Not an issue for me....I really like mine!!! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to step in and defend 1911 shooters. A good 1911 shooter will realize the difference between a custom weapon like a good 1911, and an everyday service pistol like an FNP, and react accordingly. As much as I love my 1911s, I realize their limitations as well as their strengths. Yes, they have the best ergonomics of any pistol I've handled to date, and I point extremely well with them, but if I ever have to use a weapon for self-defense, do I want my precious 1911 rusting in a police evidence locker for years while the legal ramifications pan out? What if I'm out hiking and take a tumble down a scree slope, do I want my custom 1911 to get scratched to hell, or a $500 piece of combat tupperware that works just fine for its intended purpose.

I hate Glocks not because they're plastic (which I don't mind) or because they have ugly aesthetics (I don't care if it's butt-fugly as long as it works), but because the grip angle doesn't agree with my hands. I don't point them naturally like I do a 1911 or a Beretta 92. I point the FNP very naturally, based on the limited experience I have with them. The FNP-45 has a very short trigger reset, also something I value (due to my 1911 and Beretta 92 experience). The only thing stopping me from buying an FNP-45 as a daily carry gun is its newness (I want to let the kinks get worked out by others before I drop money) and the sheer size of the beast. I'm a big guy, I carry a 1911 or Beretta in an IWB rig without discomfort, but the FNP-45 is just... big. I'm sure it'd make a fine duty weapon, but it's just not right for me as a CCW weapon.

If I could find an FNP-9 or FNP-9M in SAO configuration (or even a DA/SA that's capable of Condition 1 carry), I'd probably buy one and run it for a while as a CCW piece. That way, I don't have to compromise my desire for a single-action weapon that points and handles like a 1911 but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I haven't been able to find an example of either, though, and it looks like FN doesn't make SAO FNPs anymore, much to my sadness.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I fired my FNP-45 for the first time today.

After several days of handling it, I can't think of anything you could do accidentally on this gun. Decocking, releasing the slide, or dropping the mag are all very deliberate actions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Opinions are like ***holes. Everyone's got one. If everyone actually did what these writers suggested we would all probably be using Hi-Points.
But on a serious level this is actually the first time I have anyone say anything negative about the de-cocking lever. I actually wish that they would have given that same lever or similar one to the rest of the FNP's to make it a little more contoured to the pistol.
I have to agree.. I cant see how he could be "accidently" hitting the de-cocker... I have pretty big hands, and I have to "reach" for it when decocking.. Doesnt make sense to me...

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to the forum, and new to fn, but I am not new to firearms!!

I picked up a FNP-45 about 2weeks ago. I have had 2 range trips to date. I have carried every combo known to man. Big, small, ankle, IWB, OWB, etc.

I bought this gun because of the reality of an active shooter scenario. I recently have researched them, and after viewing an extended account of the Trolly Mall shooting in SLC Utah, I am finally carrying enough gun. (From 7 defensive rounds, to 15 offensive rounds in the gun and 14 more close by).

About 3yrs ago I carried an HK USPc 45. This has the opposite affect from the Glock, as far as grip angle. (Where DID that front site go!! :evil: ) I never shot it that well, but my main complaint was the saftey/decock lever. It tore into my shooting hand thumb every time I went to the range.

This is what scared me most about the FN 45, but luckily my worries were unjustified. The lever does not rub at all, (fired 250 rnds last nite, band-aid free!!). I too feel that the author is misrepresenting the gun on that account.

I am quite pleased with the gun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
FNP 45

Well, I currently carry a Wilson CQB 1911 for duty use and I recently purchased an FNP 45 with the intention of carrying it for duty use. Then I took it to the range.

Granted, for the past decade I've been carrying top of the line 1911's, the first was a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, which I swapped out right after hurricane Rita for the Wilson with the light rail. Both have served me well and I plan on passing them on to the kids when they become of age, but I really wanted something with higher capacity in a .45. Glock 21 is too big for my hands, Springfield XD .45 just didn't blow my skirt up, then I got ahold of the FNP 45. With the arched "main spring cover" it was a little too big for my hands, then I tried it with the flat cover, perfect fit.

When I fired it, I was very underwhelmed. The double action first shot, for me, didn't seem very accurate. Single action mode was a little better. I was not very impressed. But, and this is a big "but", I've only gone through 50 rounds, and after I've gone through another 250, then I'll make my final call on this particular pistol as my personal duty weapon. I've been informed that there is soon to be a "USGI (?)" model that is supposed to hit the market, and it will allow the user to carry it "cocked and locked" like a 1911. I've also been informed that the only modification I'd need is to swap out the trigger pack on my particular pistol for the new one. If that's the case then I think I may have a new duty weapon.

On the plus side, the think is built like a tank, has a good magazine capacity (14 with 15 rounders on the way), a built in light rail, and seems to fit in most Glock 21 holsters that I've tried it with. As an example, a buddy gave me his Safariland 6280 Glock 21/w Surefire X200 holster and it fit fine. The only modification it needed was to the "thumb strap" which need to be stretched to accomodate the protruding FNP 45 hammer.

I still like the thing, but I'm going to run a lot more ammo through it to get me and it good and broken in before I hit the streets with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've put 70 rounds through my FNP 45 and found it to be pretty accurate. I got around 7 to 10 hits in the center circle at 7 to 13 yards (I rotated distance). I plan to put a lot more rounds through the gun before I conclude how good the FNP 45 is for sure, but right now I would say its a winner. "A true gun is a work gun not a mantle piece."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts