FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hit the range today with a few pistols. It was the maiden voyage for all of them. I had a good time. I'm still finding my legs, accuracy wise, but that will come along eventually. I have a few years of atrophy to overcome. I went ahead and committed to a membership, so I plan on making this a regular event.

I did have a bit of weirdness with the Glock 21 and Octane 45. It basically was single shot. I'd fire a round, it would eject and feed the next round, but the trigger wouldn't be reset. I'd cycle the slide, fire and then...nothing. I took off the Octane and it ran flawlessly. This was the first time with the Octane 45 and there's a good chance I did something stupid (or stupidly didn't do something). I ran the Octane 9 on a P226 last week without issue. Any advise?

My new shooting glasses were actually fog free which made for a much better time than the hazy adventure of last week.

Other than the issue with the suppressor all four pistols (HK VP9, CZ75B, S&W Shield and Glock 21 Gen 4) functioned flawlessly.

The CZ is one sweet ride. I also really liked the HK. The Shield will take me a bit more getting used to.

I forgot to take pictures until I was almost done. Too excited to be at the range. Here's what I got:

I'll post the targets in the next post...for your amusement. :smile:

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Glock 21 Gen 4 w/Octane 45 (only for five shots) AE 230gr FMJ & Federal 230gr HST JHP

HK VP9 -Winchester 124gr NATO FMJ

CZ75B -Winchester 124gr NATO FMJ

S&W Shield - Federal HST 124gr JHP & Winchester 124gr NATO FMJ

·
Registered
270 Posts
I did have a bit of weirdness with the Glock 21 and Octane 45. It basically was single shot. I'd fire a round, it would eject and feed the next round, but the trigger wouldn't be reset. I'd cycle the slide, fire and then...nothing. I took off the Octane and it ran flawlessly.
You were using the piston and spring setup and not one of the direct thread adapters right?

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You were using the piston and spring setup and not one of the direct thread adapters right?
Yeah, I think (operative word) I have everything set up correctly:

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm yeah that's how it should be setup. Maybe some limp wristing was causing it?
I put five mags through the Glock (without suppressor) without issue. I'm pretty careful about my grip, but who knows? Next time I'll take the FNX-45 also and try the can there.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I put five mags through the Glock (without suppressor) without issue. I'm pretty careful about my grip, but who knows? Next time I'll take the FNX-45 also and try the can there.
Yeah I guess see how she does on another host. I'm not a suppressor expert by any means. Fortunately my osprey has worked on every pistol it's been on.

Good shooting though!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Nice shooting!

Was the spring lubed up?

Haven't had any issues with my FNX 45 w/Osprey.

Reactions: akitainu

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Nice shooting akitainu. Congrats on getting out and the new membership. I'm no help with the octane but maybe Jeremy might have something to add? Nice shooting!

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Very nice, those targets look like your making some good progress :twisted:

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice, those targets look like your making some good progress :twisted:
Thanks. I'm going to try to get there a couple of times a month. It's kind of a long haul.
That ammo goes quick though. I suppose that was the one good thing about being laid up.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to try to get there a couple of times a month. It's kind of a long haul.
That ammo goes quick though. I suppose that was the one good thing about being laid up.
It does go out a lot faster than it comes in, we were doing some pistol drills several weeks back and just the two of us at the end went through 800ish combined in just a few hours. That is why I end up shooting more 9mm vs 45ACP, it's not a lot of savings but for the same $ I get more time out.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cleaned all the pistols today and noticed something that my (or may not) be the issue with the Glock. First, I confirmed that I have the newer recoil spring assembly...not the ones that were recalled. The odd thing I noticed is that with the SilencerCo barrel, the pistol doesn't seem to be fully in battery. The recoil spring is slightly more exposed and in the rear you can see the slide is back a very small bit. When I dropped the factory barrel back in, everything locks up tight. It's on me for not noticing this when I first got the barrel...if indeed it's the issue.

I tried to take a few pictures, but I really (really) suck at that. So, they don't convey what I'm seeing well at all.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I cleaned all the pistols today and noticed something that my (or may not) be the issue with the Glock. First, I confirmed that I have the newer recoil spring assembly...not the ones that were recalled. The odd thing I noticed is that with the SilencerCo barrel, the pistol doesn't seem to be fully in battery. The recoil spring is slightly more exposed and in the rear you can see the slide is back a very small bit. When I dropped the factory barrel back in, everything locks up tight. It's on me for not noticing this when I first got the barrel...if indeed it's the issue.

I tried to take a few pictures, but I really (really) suck at that. So, they don't convey what I'm seeing well at all.
Sounds like that could definitely be the culprit. I bought one of those "zahal recoil reduction springs" for my fnx45 and my m&p40c. I had the same thing happen on my carry gun (m&p 40c), wasn't on every round but every few rounds I'd have to reach up with my thumb and push the slide forward about 1/8-1/16" to get it all the way into battery so it would fire. Obviously that wasn't going to work for my carry gun so I went back to the original spring and haven't had a problem since.

When you release the slide and it stops just a little short will it still fire? If so maybe try again with the can on and if it doesn't fire give it a little push forward and try again. If that is the problem I would either look into trying a different barrel or a stronger recoil spring.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
When you release the slide and it stops just a little short will it still fire? If so maybe try again with the can on and if it doesn't fire give it a little push forward and try again. If that is the problem I would either look into trying a different barrel or a stronger recoil spring.
Yep, it still fires...it just won't allow a follow up shot with the Octane. It actually seems like the barrel is preventing the slide from moving that whisper of a hair forward...like the fit is just a bit off. I can't manually press it forward. I crammed everything back in the safe for the day. Tomorrow I'll try again to get a decent picture. I'd like confirmation that this isn't a figment of my imagination.

I'll be back at the range Thursday (maybe Wednesday) to check the function of the Octane on the FNX.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Get a buckmark .22 prices have been dropping you'll enjoy shooting more caz it costs less
I've been meaning to get a .22 pistol for about 25 years now. Something else always comes along and leads me astray.

Being able to go to the range again has taught me one thing for sure. I can either buy guns and not shoot them, or I can shoot the ones I have and not buy anything new. I can't afford to do both. All things considered I'll opt for the latter.*

*This does not apply to the CZ Scorpion. I've already paid for that. :shock:

Reactions: Smurky

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FN (Mostly) Range Day Tomorrow!

All set for the trip tomorrow. I was just going to to test the Octane/FNX, but things started to snowball a little. I reigned it a bit, but it's still more than I planned on taking. I'm not taking the Glock 21. It works. If the Octane runs well on the FNX, which I fully expect, I'll contact SilencerCo about the barrel fit. I am taking the Glock 30, as I'm thinking about making it my carry gun (after a few trips).

I want to give my thanks to whoever invented the Uplula mag loader. I love that f'n thing. Some brain bigger than mine needs to come up with something for the PS90.

All ready to go (with my shiny new range bag/PS90 bag...I feel like a kid on the first day of school...new jeans and sneakers):

Reactions: FS2KSTD

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice shooting!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts