FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is that I want to use a GG&G compact tactical bipod along with a Magpul AFG on my SCAR 17. But what I found is that the bottom rail is to short to accommodate both. I started to search for options to this problem and found the Handl Defense Advance Fore-Rail and VLTOR CASV-SCAR: SCAR handguard with extender would do nicely what I would want them to do.

My concern is of course durability, ability to disburse heat, weight and cost in that order. I'm asking those with experience with these two different handguards, what you think of each so that I can make a informed decision in the next couple of weeks. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
MREX has seriously caught my eye. It slims down the for-end....which is a plus.Its aluminum. Its light weight..weighs 2 ounces more than OEM and it is $299.00. Since no one seems to be able to make a SCAR rail extension with the front screws captive the MREX seems to be the best value and option.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
Let me suggest this to you......Branham Tactical 2" Rail Extension. I was looking for a similar solution to a nearly identical problem. I have an AFG2 -the shorter and slimmer version- mounted on my 16s and wanted to have the option of using a bipod without having to remove the AFG. It only adds 2" to the OEM 3,6,9 O'clock rails and provides an extra sling QD on both side rails...

View attachment 37119

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MREX has seriously caught my eye. It slims down the for-end....which is a plus.Its aluminum. Its light weight..weighs 2 ounces more than OEM and it is $299.00. Since no one seems to be able to make a SCAR rail extension with the front screws captive the MREX seems to be the best value and option.
How is it for heat disspation and I assume a rail can be added to the bottom of its' length?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I finally made my choice, what do you think?

Custom SCAR 17S.jpg

After looking at the different options available, I decided on the Kinetic MREX 6.5 with the Magpul MLOK rail system. The MREX is approximately $200 cheaper then the Handl Defense and easier to mount. Really like all the space available to mount accessories. The front is a little heavy due to the GG&G compact tactical bipod, but it's quick to removal and more then likely wouldn't be on most of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts