FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many many moons ago I ordered a handl lower for new scar17. Something like around a month after glorious leader's re-election. I ordered it from ranier arms. A couple of weeks go by and my cellphone rang and a nice lady from ranier offered to refund my money or I could wait for back order due to some production issue or other. I said hmmmm sure I'll wait I'm patient and I like new toys. At this point no one had these in the wild.

5 or 6 months go by and I get another call from ranier asking if I still wanted it. I said sure and had one in the mail at my door a week later. Due to work and real life business trip almost another month goes by before I even take it out of the box.

Now go back to when I got my scar17 the very first thing I did was completely strip the lower take the barrel off and get a good understanding of its inner workings. Since that thought of what a pain some of the parts are to take apart in the lower I did something out of character and tried test fitting the stripped lower.

It didn't fit. The male tab that fits in the butt stock slot was off center. I was pissed as hell and tossed the handl lower in the back of the safe. It sat there until three weeks ago when I emailed handl sent them pics of the issue and they asked me to send the lower and my lower parts in. I did so and last week I got the lower back. Whether it was my old reworked one or a new one I don't know but it mates up and cycles fine.

Except for one thing, one teensy tiny thing that has me pulling hair... my super scar giesselle trigger doesn't seem to work correctly as the front of the trigger doesn't seem to have enough clearence.

It looks like the floor of the reciever is too thick so I'm going to sand out a groove for the super scar trigger. While the handl lower works perfectly now with the oem trigger, who wants to use that when they got a super scar trigger????

If I had of known the issues I've dealt with I prolly would have said eff it but I really don't like the scar oem mag they don't fit in any of my mag carriers. Why oh why couldn't fn just make a poly sr25 lower

Hindsight is 20/20 and you can't go back in a time machine and slap yourself to tell the nice ranier arms lady you want a refund or store credit. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Geissele knows they don't fit so they have a note about using their trigger:

"Description: The Geissele Super Scar trigger is designed to only fit into the standard polymer trigger housing manufactured by FN.

Note: Gunsmith fitting of our triggers to make them work in non FN trigger housings is prohibited and will void the trigger warranty"

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Just makes me even happier that I was able to find enough SCAR mags to be able avoid this entire problem.

Reactions: tatung70

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear you had a poor experience with Handl. Here is a link to a an option for SCAR OEM Mags. FirstSpear, LLC :: Platforms :: SCAR Heavy Operator Carrying Kit (SHOCK 6/12™)
I got good cs from handl its just not exactly the product I expected. When I got my superscar trigger there wasn't a warning about it. If I had known the giesselle trigger wasn't compatable as is with the handl I wouldn't have got the lower.

I'm not going to touch the trigger itself just the floor of the handl lower. Don't really care at this point if it voids either warranty as I can just pop the trigger back in the oem lower if it comes to that and say eff it lesson learned don't be an early adopter of any product

Thanks for that link. I think that's what I need for the mags

·
Registered
82 Posts
When factory stock mags were harder to come by than rain in the desert, I gave serious thought to buying a lower that accepted different mags. I never had a problem finding them using patience and keeping track of 'mag available' thread in the forum and threads that popped up. Now I'm really glad I didn't since FN seems to have solved the availability issue.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after getting reworked it seems to work ok but just the serious ammount of frustration and it isnt internally the same as the fn poly lower in the trigger area is whats got me disapointed.

after looking around on this forum i take it not a lot of people have had success with these...

maybe ill take it to the next gunshow

·
Registered
604 Posts
Being an unwitting beta tester always sucks. It looks like Handl is using the Microsoft method of product research and development.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess if a person wanted this type of lower, it is best to wait for the upcoming SEAL from what I read on this forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts