FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got it back - the slide. Not the best pics so far, but good enough to see.

I had it done by Tripp Research.

I'll have to take a group pic soon. That's 4 hard chromed slides :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow to try.

Here is a pic of the other side - it is a bit "whiter" because of the flash - the 1st pic shows the true color...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great looking finish there ShipWreck.

Does Tripp Research have any other finish available?

I'm also thinking about refinishing my HK USP full .40, I'm trying to find out what's available and make up my mind.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He has hard chrome and a black polymer finish. I always get the extractor done in the polymer, and also did the decocker buttons in that on my P99s.

But, I wouldn't do an entire slide in it - he couldn't get it right on a 1911 slide I sent him 1.5 years ago.

For black refinishing - I'd go wither with Birdsong's Black T or CCR's cerakoat.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wanna hear something really weird... I got new Wolfe springs for my USPc mags recently - because the mags were not locking back the slide after the last shot. (common for HK stock mag springs)

2 of those 4 mags with the new springs worked great on my USPc on my last trip to the range. I had not tried the other 2 yet.

I got my slide hard chromed and just got the slide back this week.

Shot 100 rounds this morning. Failure to feed and failure to eject on EVERY mag - 2-3 times per mag. I got very frustrated.

I came back home and got the 2 mags that I had not changed springs on yet - a last ditch effort.

Went back and shot 150 more rounds. Slide locked back EVERY time, and not a single failure.

I know hard chrome can change tolerances - but that is weird. Luckily, I kept all my original springs - I'll put them back and retry those other 4 mags again. At least for now - I know I have 2 mags that work 100%.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Looking great Ship. I have a P245 that Tripp Hard Chromed the slide on. They also did some trigger work on it. I think I want to have my P99cAS done next.

TA

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, took it back out today (the USPc) with all original mag springs back in all of my mags - shot 200 rounds. Gun was 100%. So, for now, I can't use the +10% Wolff springs in the mags - strange.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts