FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Sent my FNP slide off to be hard chromed. Hope it comes bakc looking nice :?
Please post pics when you get it back! :shock: I will be picking up my all black model soon. I was wondering if I could get my slide media blasted down to the chrome. :-?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imschur said:
Have you had anything hard chromed in the past?
Have I ever had anything hardchromed? :lol:

Most regulars know that me and hard chrome go way back :x

I no longer have the SW99, but I still have the other 3 (USPc, P99 and P99c).

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Dude....those look sweet. Do you get it done locally or ship them off? Is there a black hard chrome?

thanks
drew

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imschur said:
Dude....those look sweet. Do you get it done locally or ship them off? Is there a black hard chrome?

thanks
drew
I had them done somewhere else, but that place no longer does it. I'm trying a new place for the 1st time.

There is black chrome, but it is not very scratch resistant at all. Its mainly for show.

Hard chrome makes the gun about holster wear proof. I've had my P99c for about 3 years now since I've had it hard chromed. Still looks perfect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
so is it more durable than the stainless finish on the FNP's?
i have a FNP-357 i just won that i may get chromed.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cruzie27 said:
so is it more durable than the stainless finish on the FNP's?
i have a FNP-357 i just won that i may get chromed.
Yes, it is more durable than stainless - scratch wise. Only real way to scratch hard chrome is with another metal object. It won't wear from holster wear.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Can you hard chrome a blued slide, or does it only work on stainless? Does it make for tighter tolerances where other parts attach (such as the sights)? Do they only hard chrome the outer visible portion?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
B52U said:
Can you hard chrome a blued slide, or does it only work on stainless? Does it make for tighter tolerances where other parts attach (such as the sights)? Do they only hard chrome the outer visible portion?
U can hard chrome any steel gun slide - blue, carbon steel, stainless steel. Only thing that cannot be hard chromed is aluminum (frames). Aluminum must be nickel plated first, then hard chromed.

Some people have done this to Beretta 92 frames, buts ome hard chromers just won't mess with aluminum. You are talking about 2 different layers there - which can possibly change tolerances.

Inside of barrels won't be hard chromed, but otherwise, yes, they do the inside of the slides as well.

I have disassembled my P99 slide completely. Even most of the internal striker area is chromed (there is just a tiny portion, deep in the channel that is not)

·
Registered
203 Posts
So Ship, were you able to get that FNP slide disassembled completely? :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't need to - I send it to them, and they do it.

The P99 design is the only slide I can take apart completely. But when I sent it in for refinishing, they did all the disassembly and reassembly.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Cool be sure to post a pic when it comes back. Did you send the barrel too, or just the slide? I wonder how the hard chrome would stand up to the scratch the take down lever likes to make on the slide.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
B52U said:
Cool be sure to post a pic when it comes back. Did you send the barrel too, or just the slide? I wonder how the hard chrome would stand up to the scratch the take down lever likes to make on the slide.
I only sent the slide. I never hard chrome barrels. I like the black contrast of the barrel against the silver colored slide.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
^ Yea that.... Ship, I want your H&K!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts