FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hasn't anyone chronographed SS198LF out of a full length PS90 yet? I have seen the estimated or speculated velocity figures, but I would like to see some actual independant test results from individuals.

·
Administrator
11,358 Posts
Hasn't anyone chronographed SS198LF out of a full length PS90 yet? I have seen the estimated or speculated velocity figures, but I would like to see some actual independant test results from individuals.
Send me some and I'll chrony it for you. I'll fire ten from the FsN ten from the PS90SBR and ten from the PS90 for a total of thirty or I'll just fire and chrony ten of you choice. I'll even do a comparison to my favorite loads.

PM me if you want.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SS198LF

I have my own chronograph, I was just waiting for my first batch of SS198LF to get here. I was just wndering if anyone else had already chronoed it. I will test it out of a Tactical pistol, P90 TR, and PS90 TR when I can get to the range in clear weather.

·
Administrator
11,358 Posts
If 2050fps is the best that this round can do I'm glad that I don't have any.

Weak round.

I am truly grateful that I am not limited by such constraints as to the type of ammunicion that I can carry in my FiveseveN.

·
Registered
119 Posts
HK SD9

So what are you shooting and what numbers are you getting? I have the some of the 198, and that is the best I can do on my own.

They will give me a letter to buy the good stuff but they won't buy it for me, so I'm stuck shooting 198.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
so is this ammo any good? I love ss195 for self defence and i basically only shoot ss197 at the range. My question is, is the ss198 better then the ss195 or is it just ss192 with a different name on it?

·
Administrator
11,358 Posts
The SS192 is no longer imported into the US - for over two years now. The SS195LF has a Lead Free primer. Some people say the are indentical except for the primer.

The SS198 is the same as the SS195LF EXCEPT the SS198 has .2g more of the factory powder (this was reported but I can not vouch for the accuracy of the .2g as I have not taken apart a SS198 round). That .2g of powder gives the SS198LF the higher velocity of 2050fps compared to 1930fps of the SS195LF.

I would like to see the read outs of the Chrony. The deviations, hi, lo, and spread. If both the SS192 and the SS198 measured the same velocities of 2050fps then there is a problem here because the SS198 is suppose to have a higher powder charge than the SS192/SS195

That means the SS198 has 253 ft-lbs of stopping power at whatever distance the chornograph was set up at from the muzzle, at the point that the velocity measurement was taken. Increase the distance, velocity decreases, and so does stopping power.

The SS195LF has 224 ft-lbs of stopping power at 15 feet from the muzzle due to its lower velocity of 1930 fps.

For impact power, either the 40g or 45g bullet with the appropriate amount of powder is the best bet. That will give you 310 ft-lbs and 327 ft-lbs respectively in the FiveseveN. You give up 190 fps and 250 fps of velocity compared to the SS198 but only 70 fps and 120 fps compared to the SS195 using these two projectiles.

For BPx69: I can not say for your specific needs due to the rules that your department places upon you. There is aftermarket ammunition out there that is better than the FnH stuff (if you want to stay away from AP rounds) but these rounds are disassembled and rebuilt using various non factory items. FnH made the SS198 specifically for LEO as there can be direct sales and it is hotter than the SS195 (big woo hoo here). For the SS190, you need department head memo and the challanges that come with it. I load and carry my own and am under no constriants except the Federal AP rules limiting the use of a certain designed projectile in the FiveseveN.

·
Administrator
11,358 Posts
workingman1976 said:
well i like the round but its worth a dollar a bullet as i seen it listed for non leo`s etc
I would not pay any amount for it except for maybe one round for a collection - if I had one going.

The stuff is just not worth it for me. I can replace the powder in an SS195LF with my own charge and get much faster velocities than the factory SS198. This stuff was specifically designed for LEO's that were having a problem getting the SS190 (even though the SS198 is designated non AP) due to department restrictions and were unable to get aftermarket rounds that fit the departments criteria for duty carry. I suspect that FnH also wanted to curtail the aftermarket production of cartridges by non sanctioned persons/companies.

·
Registered
119 Posts
SS198

I think I know what you are talking about when it comes to "those" ammos.

but . . .

I was about to get some of that ammo but I see my little stash and I may just hold off. I half way to a new FiveSeven, or I may just get me a few extra mags, have 3 now.

I really do want to increase my ammo stash, if I do, I be getting more ss198. I just have to buy more airtight storage.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
well right now i got 200 rounds of elite ammo`s ball 5.7 and 50 rounds of tracers, 200 rounds of 5.7 varmint grenades, 500 rounds of ss197 and 300 rounds of ss195. that is basically what i have in 5.7x28mm. I got a ton of 308 and 5.56 ,but that is a different topic all together. I wanted some ss198, but not at the prices they are selling for non-leo`s

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have been shooting my ss195 and 198.

I only have one box of SS197, which I plan to keep. The rest is in SS198LF.

·
Administrator
11,358 Posts
BPx69 said:
I have been shooting my ss195 and 198.

I only have one box of SS197, which I plan to keep. The rest is in SS198LF.
The SS197SR (blue tip) isn't bad. I shot a couple of boxes before I decided to reload my own cartridges. I now reload with the Hornady 40g projectile (same as the SS197SR except a red tip) but with a bit more powder to increase its velocity. The difference between the projectile that Fiocci and reloaders use is that Hornady makes the blue tip exclusively for Fiocci who loads the SS97SR in the US under licensing of FNH.

The previous posted velocities that I mentiond are measured from the FiveseveN. The PS90 has quite a velocity difference in all rounds fired vs the FiveseveN. Some rounds have more than a 25% increase in velocity and thus more energy upon impact. For instance, the 30g Berger with .4 grains less powder but 2g more of projectile than the SS198 travels at 2026fps out of the FiveseveN but travels 2600fps out of the PS90. And there is room for growth in this round. I suspect that the SS198 will do around 2500fps out of the PS90. You can compare the differences in velocities at my WWW where load tables for some tested projectiles are located.

I need about 30 rounds to chrony them out of the FiveseveN, PS90SBR, and the PS90. I just refuse to spend that amound of money on the rounds to do it.

I guess that I can just up the powder charge and load some SS195LF to the powder level of the SS198 and measure those. I won't have the advantage of having a factory sealed projectile though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts