FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the barrel of my brother-in-law's Glock 22 (40SW). We were at the range shooting tonight and this happened after about a hundred or so rounds. We were in the process of sighting in the laser on his M6X when this happened. As he was shooting I was watching him, and I saw nothing out of the ordinary except that the round after, or I should say the round that passed through, went way right, and the casing did not extract. This happened three quarters of the way through a 15 rd mag. As you can see by the pics the round passed through the casing of the one before it.

The only way that I can see this happening is if the round failed to extract then the next round chambered then pushed the expended casing forward into the barrel.

photo.jpg

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Wow...That is a new situation to me....But I would concur that the prior round must have had a case separation failure.

Where these reloads? (I would see this more likely due to the case getting fatigued from multiple resizings.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
None that we can see… I was in the Army for 21 yrs with thousands of hours on the range, and I myself have never seen anything like this before.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Wow...UMC new.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I completely agree! The odd part of the whole thing is that there was no odd noise, or feel to the weapon when it happened!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Any chance a 9mm cartridge accidentally made its way into the ammo pile?
We thought of that too, but when we got home I took a 9mm round sent it down the barrel and it passed all the way though even with the brass still stuck in the end. I was shooting my 45, and the only other gun he had there was his 38 Spec. He broke open the box of 40 when we got there.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
A 40 cal glock will pick up and fire a 9mm (extractor holds it). When it does this, it buldges the case out to the 40's spec (and could cause separation). UMC doesn't have the best quality control, so it might be possible that a 9mm made it into the 40 box or someone tossed one it.

That is bizarre though. Did you guys check for a separated case on the ground? I'd be pretty surprised if it managed to push an intact case into the barrel without a feeding malfunction.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A 40 cal glock will pick up and fire a 9mm (extractor holds it). When it does this, it buldges the case out to the 40's spec (and could cause separation). UMC doesn't have the best quality control, so it might be possible that a 9mm made it into the 40 box or someone tossed one it.

That is bizarre though. Did you guys check for a separated case on the ground? I'd be pretty surprised if it managed to push an intact case into the barrel without a feeding malfunction.
We did not find any of the separated case even after sweeping the floor (indoor range). Probably went down range. We were shooting from 30 feet. The 9mm round I placed into the barrel after I got home passed right through the chamber?! How would the striker fire it without chambering?

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
I too bet 9mm. One day I saw three 40 S&W shot through a .45 ACP. It stripped them off the mag and the brass expanded to fit the chamber. The brass was stuck and had to use a knife blade to work it out. Finally a round was chambered by hand and it fell out the end of the barrel.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The only thing I can attribute to this conversation is that you are both rediculously lucky that the gun and the shooter's hands did not explode because of that.
My thoughts exactly. Case separation isn't a squib, but it's still a barrel obstruction.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I thought of that video as soon as I read the original thread. As mentioned, while 9mm cartridge will pass through the 40 cal barrel, the casing will expand because the chamber is wider. It doesn't make sense to me that the back of the casing isn't blown back but shot down range though as the back of the casing is behind the point of explosion. You sure the extractor didn't toss it behind you? It would have thrown it further away as it's only part of the case.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought of that video as soon as I read the original thread. As mentioned, while 9mm cartridge will pass through the 40 cal barrel, the casing will expand because the chamber is wider. It doesn't make sense to me that the back of the casing isn't blown back but shot down range though as the back of the casing is behind the point of explosion. You sure the extractor didn't toss it behind you? It would have thrown it further away as it's only part of the case.
It was an indoor range and we swept the floor and found nothing!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts