FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about attempting it, but I rather not hose the grip if others were unable to do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i just picked up a scar 16s in FDE, and I cannot really deal with the stock A2 style grip.

I have an MOE+ and an MOE-K2 on the way to me - just in case I can't mod the MOE+. Do I have to modify the SCAR lower, or can I modify *just* the grip? I understand that it is only $50 for a new lower, but in an effort to preserve resale value, I'd rather leave it unmolested, at least until I get some more trigger time behind the SCAR to figure out how I like the platform.

It has some competition against my Tavor. :)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
It's MUCH easier to just modify the SCAR lower; we are talking about shaving like 1/8" off. I don't how it will significantly degrade the resale value as it's still perfectly compatible with the stock SCAR grip. Buyers will likely not even notice anyways. One thing though, if you plan on getting a super SCAR trigger with a modified lower you'll need some additional washers so the grip screw doesn't protrude into the trigger cavity.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's MUCH easier to just modify the SCAR lower; we are talking about shaving like 1/8" off. I don't how it will significantly degrade the resale value as it's still perfectly compatible with the stock SCAR grip. Buyers will likely not even notice anyways. One thing though, if you plan on getting a super SCAR trigger with a modified lower you'll need some additional washers so the grip screw doesn't protrude into the trigger cavity.

Unless the buyer comes from this forum CPTdaz.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I modified my MIAD grip to fit the SCAR 17, would much rather modify a $20 grip that is readily available than the lower... Simply filed away the inside surface a little at a time until it fit properly.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I swear some people here brought their guns just to sit in a safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I modified my SCAR grip tang last week or so and if I can do it anyone can. Just take your time. It's takes a lot more time to modify the Magpul MIAD backstrap than it did for the grip tang mod.

David W.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^ Ditto here. A dremel and about 30 min's and you can put any AR type grip on it without further mod.
I'm still confused, so please humor me.

1. If you modify the lower, do you still need to modify the grip?
2. Can you modify only the grip without having to mod the lower?
3. Has anyone modified a MOE+ to fit a SCAR?

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
This is what I understand causes the grip mounting issue, when FN casted the mold for the 16s lower it was done with an out of spec M16/M4 leaving a larger than mil spec tang. The permanent solution is to modify the tang on the lower doing so will allow you to choose and install any M16 type grip.

Check out this thread http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-16s/54612-need-scar-16s-grip-mod-template.html

·
Registered
506 Posts

1. Depending on what backstrap you use, Maybe.
2. Yes, that's what I did.
3. Not that I've seen posted yet.

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Try and install the grip, see where its rubbing/hitting the lower and then slowly shave away the material from the grip. I can modify a MIAD in less than 15 minutes to fit my SCAR. Its a lot easier than it seems. All I used was a small flat file and a small round file to open up the channel of the grip. Just go for it and take your time :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I attempted to modify the MOE+ but took too much material off and royaly botched it. Decided to pick up my balls and modify the tang. Modifying the grip tang couldnt be easier! Dont be afraid, just take your time and you will be very happy with the outcome! Like someone else said if I can do it anyone can!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Didn't FNH confirm that if you modify the lower that it will void the warranty?

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Good question GB, can anyone confirm this since I intend to trim the tang instead of mod'ing the grip and would rather not be labeled a warranty void'er,

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes you can definitely modify MOE+ grips to fit, I have them on both my 16 and 17 without any issues. It just takes a little patients and careful attention to detail when removing grip material. I used a dremel and a flat metal file to get the job done. I would post pictures but I don't have any recent ones.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Taking an 1/8" off the lower tang is an easy task. Once done, any AR grip will fit. The MIAD on the 17 will still need some trimming on the backstrap though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This was also my understanding and concern, as well. I am okay destroying a $23 grip, or even a pair of them, as opposed to a $2300 rifle. Since I will only change the grip once, I don't care how long it takes to mod the grip, so long as it fits and a looks like it belongs on the rifle.

My concern with the MOE+ is the rubberized material, and if you had to remove any of that to make it fit.

My grips should be here this weekend, so between a K2 and a MOE+, one will be on the SCAR by the end of the weekend. I have zero intention of cutting the lower frame unless it absolutely 100% MUST be done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This was also my understanding and concern, as well. I am okay destroying a $23 grip, or even a pair of them, as opposed to a $2300 rifle. Since I will only change the grip once, I don't care how long it takes to mod the grip, so long as it fits and a looks like it belongs on the rifle.

My concern with the MOE+ is the rubberized material, and if you had to remove any of that to make it fit.

My grips should be here this weekend, so between a K2 and a MOE+, one will be on the SCAR by the end of the weekend. I have zero intention of cutting the lower frame unless it absolutely 100% MUST be done.

Well technically you wouldnt "destroy" your entire rifle, just the the polymer lower. As to removing the rubberized material, this is not neccessary. You only want to remove the polymer area that interfaces with the grip tang. There are threads with pics and instructions on this site and others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts