FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was firing my PS90 at the range yesterday and after about 60 rounds the gun stopped firing. I took the magazine out and found that the bullets were not being seated properly in the chamber. When I took the gun home to clean and inspect it, I found that there was a piece of a shell casing which had sheared off and became lodged inside the chamber. I was able to remove the piece with a cleaning brush but now I'm a little worried about firing the gun safely. Has anyone else encountered this issue before?

In the image below, the fragment to the right is the piece of a shell casing that I pulled out of the barrel of my PS90.

IMG_20150209_092339_793.jpg

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Yep, had that same exact problem about two weeks ago. Since cleaning the chamber out significantly I've run a couple hundred rounds through mine, mostly suppressed, and not had an issue again. All ammo through the gun at this point has been either SS197SR or SS195LF.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hello and Welcome!

Well, chalk up another failure from Fiochi.

What was the Lot # of your ammo?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was going to say something about AE, but then noticed the blue tip. Were you firing AE anytime in that session? Wonder if there is glue on the rounds. If not, then bullet set back causing neck to seperate?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Considering that Fiochi glues the projectiles in both the FN SS197SR and the Federal AE5728A rounds, the blue tipped one could have been jammed back into the brass just as easily as the AE ones.

·
Registered
393 Posts
To my knowledge, AE are not glued. SS-whatevers are.
AE are glued, the only rounds not glued are factory FN rounds that are NOT made by Fiochhi....if I am not mistaken. SS198 are always a good choice

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM

·
Registered
316 Posts
OK, Now I am starting to get a bit concerned. I recently purchased a PS90 and have yet to to fire a single round.
1. Ammo: I am sitting on 4 boxes of FN SS198LF (box says "Made in Belgium")and 2 boxes of FN SS197SR (box states "Loaded in the United States by Fiocchi) Is there a better type ammo I should get?
2. Cleaning: how much oil/grease on the gun. Local "experts" seem to be evenly divided between those who say clean, oil, wipe almost dry, and shoot; and others who say the gun should almost be dripping oil. Who is right?
3. Sight: The unit I have came with the red dot sight. Just how good is this sight?
thanks

·
Administrator
12,030 Posts
Either ammo is good. I use SS198 and SS197SR with no problems. I do not use AE.

Light oil almost dry. Clean the chamber well. Ammo has a coating on it that soemtimes fouls the chamber (I never suffered form this).

Red Dot should work fine.

Shoot and be happy. These case neck separations are almost unheard of and two in one week is almost unbelievable.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Most factory rounds are glued, not crimped. I've run across a few older L191 that has a crimp, but that's about it. Would be interesting to know the supplier of the 5.7 bras to FN/Fiocchi

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Most factory rounds are glued, not crimped. I've run across a few older L191 that has a crimp, but that's about it.
Good information to know.
There seems to be a lot of confusion on the 5.7x28mm rounds.
I will be the very first to admit that I am amongst the ranks of the confused.

At first, I was under the false impression that only the Fiocchi loaded Federal-AE5728A rounds were the only ones glued and all the other ones were crimped.
Then I found out that even the Fiocchi loaded FNH SS197SR rounds were also glued just like the AE5728A rounds and I falsely fell for the lie that all others are crimped.
With your info about only a few older L191 rounds being crimped, that exposes the fact that nobody knows exactly for sure which specific 5.7x28 rounds are crimped.

This to me says that it is best assumed that the majority of these rounds are glued with only a very few specific ones being crimped.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If I remember correctly, its the primers in a 5.7 round that are crimped in place while all the projectiles are glued. (But I could be wrong).

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If I remember correctly, its the primers in a 5.7 round that are crimped in place while all the projectiles are glued. (But I could be wrong).
I shot up a single box of SS197SR my last outing to the range.
I saved the brass and just recently found an RCBS die set for the 5.7x28 rounds.

I popped out the primers from the SS197 brass and I think they are crimped in.
Just to be certain, I'll swage the primer pocket before putting a new one in.

I am cleaning some AE5728A brass and I will look at those too and see if those pockets need to be swaged out too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts