FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 17 and am now debating optics, I've found a pretty decent deal on the 6X ACOG....any drawbacks to these other than weight?

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Idk if you have seen one in person, but it's massive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That scope is more at home on a crew-served gun. I have not seen one in person, but have seen pics of them on light MG's and they are big.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My wife uses the 4X with the aimpoint on top, but like everyone has said, the 6x is big, heavy, and limits your shooting options.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Never seen one mounted before, I think I'll consider something else....thanks guys.
Just think about the kind of shooting you want to do. My wife likes to compete in heavy metal. She uses the 4x for shots +100 yards out and the 2 moa red dot for closer. I run a trijicon 3x-9x when hunting in mostly open terrain where the shots will generally be 100-220 yards out or a aimpoint compm4 with a magnifier on a swivel mount when I'm hunting in heavy brush or 'broken' terrain where something can pop up and start running.

The type of shooting you plan to do has to come first and then you select the optic that will best help you do that, for the best price you can afford. Other factors to consider are glass clarity, warranties, and weight. I bought an absolutely beautiful piece of glass, the nf 2.5-10x42, but went back to using my trijicon 3x-9x because it was lighter.

Have fun and enjoy your 17s!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The Brits use it on their sharpshooter rifle, L129A1.

Article about the rifle with pics. Sharpshooter: The UK?s New L129A1 7.62x51mm Rifle Note that the newbs are using a Harris instead of an Atlas.
I prefer Atlas, but there's nothing "newb" about a Harris bipod. It's pretty much accepted as the standard in bipods.

are there better bipods? Sure, but there are far worse as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts