FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My SCAR's sit in the safe as a backup to the normal internal home defense weapons. If I've had to retrieve one of them then the **** really got real. One of those "hope I never need it" for it's real intended purpose weapons. That's also not to mention what 7.62 does inside and out of a building.....really don't want to kill my neighbors.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Raccoons are the scourge brought upon suburbia...
I have 39 acres out in the country, with a 300 yard rifle range in the back yard. Sit on the patio under the ceiling fan and plink away! Lots of critters of every kind come to visit the pond, with the drought I'm hip deep in deer (they don't bother me so I don't bother them, but I wish they'd keep the grass neater).

·
Registered
656 Posts
Raccoons are the scourge brought upon suburbia...
A powerful .25 air rifle with a DonnyFL air gun suppressor would put them down quietly without alarming the neighbors.

I live in the country and I trap them with a bit of dog food in a large Havahart live trap. Then I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to chase them around the chicken pen with an AR in my underwear. .22 LR just doesn't have the power to put them down quick. One shot with a 55 gr 5.56 round fired from a 1:7 twist 16" barrel dispatches them with authority. 1:7 twist spins that small bullet so fast it fragments (explodes) in their little bodies and doesn't pass through to make other holes in walls or my chickens. (I haven't tested shorter barrels yet.) Too loud for the city though.

After catching them in the trap, I have a rope tied to the trap's carry handle so I just toss the trap into the pond in the back yard to drown them. No mess to clean up that way.

Oh, if you do use the trap, be sure to anchor it to the ground with some heavy wire (like clothes hanger wire) and 2 12" tent stakes. Those ***** go berserk when caged and can escape an overturned trap and shred ratchet strap anchoring. Ask me how I know.

A big male I caught last week almost had one of the 12" stakes out of the ground when I found him in the morning. I tested 175 gr .308 subsonic from the SCAR on him. First subsonic round I've ever shot. I'm not impressed at all. I'd never use it again on game. He lived 3 more hours even with a chest shot at point blank range. No exit wound either. Very little external bleeding. Subsonic = wimpy. I'd never use it for home defense.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
i'm not the type to tell people what to use for hd, but i wouldn't personally be grabbing a rifle unless i had a perimeter beyond the range of a shotgun or handgun. if i lived in a rural area, this would be more likely.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
A powerful .25 air rifle with a DonnyFL air gun suppressor would put them down quietly without alarming the neighbors.

I live in the country and I trap them with a bit of dog food in a large Havahart live trap. Then I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to chase them around the chicken pen with an AR in my underwear. .22 LR just doesn't have the power to put them down quick. One shot with a 55 gr 5.56 round fired from a 1:7 twist 16" barrel dispatches them with authority. 1:7 twist spins that small bullet so fast it fragments (explodes) in their little bodies and doesn't pass through to make other holes in walls or my chickens. (I haven't tested shorter barrels yet.) Too loud for the city though.

After catching them in the trap, I have a rope tied to the trap's carry handle so I just toss the trap into the pond in the back yard to drown them. No mess to clean up that way.

Oh, if you do use the trap, be sure to anchor it to the ground with some heavy wire (like clothes hanger wire) and 2 12" tent stakes. Those * go berserk when caged and can escape an overturned trap and shred ratchet strap anchoring. Ask me how I know.

A big male I caught last week almost had one of the 12" stakes out of the ground when I found him in the morning. I tested 175 gr .308 subsonic from the SCAR on him. First subsonic round I've ever shot. I'm not impressed at all. I'd never use it again on game. He lived 3 more hours even with a chest shot at point blank range. No exit wound either. Very little external bleeding. Subsonic = wimpy. I'd never use it for home defense.
Tried to trap one holed up in my garage but I caught the little bugger reaching through the back to get at the bait. said screw it and put out a full plate of rat bait. thankfully that did the trick.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Tried to trap one holed up in my garage but I caught the little bugger reaching through the back to get at the bait. said screw it and put out a full plate of rat bait. thankfully that did the trick.
I wonder if you have an older trap? Mine has many extra bars around the bait area, so they can't reach in.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I use either one of my Maxim 9s or my suppressed shorty AR chambered in 221 fireball that I built. The furball used a 36 Varmint pill that doesn’t make it through two sheets of drywall in one piece. The 17 sits in the safe but with a mag full of M80 in it if things go bad sideways.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts