FN Herstal Firearms banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
308 is a lot of punch for that. I also live in a town house and am fairly limited on what I can use for HD, also having one area of the house that’s a “no shoot” spot for how thin that dividing wall is. Professionally I have cleared houses and rooms with 7.62 before, mostly 556 but there’s a difference between waking up in the middle of night with an unwelcome guest, and going overseas and being that unwelcome guest to some bad guys.

On the topic of pest control, I did find the Muzzle blast of my Scar easily removed a wasps nests I wasn't aware off at the range one day. They were about as happy at that as I was to see 30 of them appear in front of me. For the longest time in my mind I always assumed 308 was a deer sized game cartridge and bigger, used 556 for a long time on Coyotes. Took a buddy out to hot spot of
Yotes one day and realized a good hit with a 556 was lack luster compared to the Sack-of-Potato’s reaction the coyotes had after receiving one of his 175 grain Sierra Game king 308’s. His 308 bucked the wind a lot better than my 62 grain .223 hollow points too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Replying to the main topic question. I may not qualify as "home self defense", but I do have many encounters on personally neutralizing threats in homes in similar building codes to the U.S. ... The 7.62x51 platform.... Well its just too risky, you must place your shots very well and critically think on if/how your projectile will go through your target. and what danger if any it poses behind the exit wound. You really shouldn't be using a round as powerful as 7.62x51 in a "home defense" situation; Its to critically dangerous too cause serious collateral damage. It is only warranted on highly dangerous armored threats. This makes a case for .300 , but then again it is also dangerous passing through walls - 5.56x45 is less critically dangerous than our beloved 7.62x51 platform we all love. And has a more acceptable risk associated in its ballistics indoors. But this is just my two or three cents on a issue that has my long winded explination.

Most of my encounters were met with collateral damage that can never be fixed and has given me a hard lessen that overpowered calibers are not too be reckoned with in cqb or "home defense" environments

·
Registered
54 Posts
308 is a lot of punch for that. I also live in a town house and am fairly limited on what I can use for HD, also having one area of the house that’s a “no shoot” spot for how thin that dividing wall is. Professionally I have cleared houses and rooms with 7.62 before, mostly 556 but there’s a difference between waking up in the middle of night with an unwelcome guest, and going overseas and being that unwelcome guest to some bad guys.

On the topic of pest control, I did find the Muzzle blast of my Scar easily removed a wasps nests I wasn't aware off at the range one day. They were about as happy at that as I was to see 30 of them appear in front of me. For the longest time in my mind I always assumed 308 was a deer sized game cartridge and bigger, used 556 for a long time on Coyotes. Took a buddy out to hot spot of
Yotes one day and realized a good hit with a 556 was lack luster compared to the Sack-of-Potato’s reaction the coyotes had after receiving one of his 175 grain Sierra Game king 308’s. His 308 bucked the wind a lot better than my 62 grain .223 hollow points too.
There is something to be said about walking "out the door" with the scar 17 vs staying indoors defensively with it.

I have not cleared buildings for a living. I have lived in similar town home situations. I presume you aren't necessarily limited by budget. A semi-auto tube fed shotgun with buckshot will still provide collateral damage depending on the furthest distance you have to pattern and of course, missing.

You have no free lunch potentially. Depending on the layout of your home favor-ability. I would recommend a pistol with modern ammunition or a shotgun in semi auto, maybe a braced pistol.

Naturally in this post. If you own the home. Consider an alarm system as well. The louder the better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is something to be said about walking "out the door" with the scar 17 vs staying indoors defensively with it.

I have not cleared buildings for a living. I have lived in similar town home situations. I presume you aren't necessarily limited by budget. A semi-auto tube fed shotgun with buckshot will still provide collateral damage depending on the furthest distance you have to pattern and of course, missing.

You have no free lunch potentially. Depending on the layout of your home favor-ability. I would recommend a pistol with modern ammunition or a shotgun in semi auto, maybe a braced pistol.

Naturally in this post. If you own the home. Consider an alarm system as well. The louder the better.
9mm M&P full-size 5” in FDE running 85 grain JHP fragmentation rounds. Bullets literally designed to break apart in walls, and it’s pushing about 1400FPS too out of that gun. While I would hate to loose any of my guns, it’s mentally easier for me to hand over that $500ish pistol that’s sold at any gun store glocks are than to give the police something like my Scar. Been wanting a good 12 gauge besides a sporting clays/field gun but feel between the tight stairway, small upper hallway and the short distance in my house paired with that dividing wall, the 9mm with the correct ammo seems to be my best option.

not trying the hijack the thread or anything but stuff like knowing the layout of your house, what it’s made of, how bullets react to said meterials and then choosing the appropriate Caliber and projectile is pretty important no matter if you want to run your Scar 17 or any other rifle/pistol/shotgun/any other weapon.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts