FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...which of the available rounds (195 or 197) is the best to stock up on for defensive purposes?

·
Registered
569 Posts
...which of the available rounds (195 or 197) is the best to stock up on for defensive purposes?
You'll hear arguments from both sides about this. My personal choice is the 197 because the bullet's heavier (greater potential penetration), I trust a bullet designed to expand/fragment to create more vascular damage than a FMJ design and because it lacks the lead-free primer of the 195 which concerns me for long-term storage (YMMV).
Tomac

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
That is my choice too. Admittedly, the 195 will penetrate a little better, but I like the fragmentation abilities of the 197. And, as stated above, the 197 will store better/longer.

I have 2100 rounds stacked up. Only 450 of those boxes are 195. All the rest is 197. And, I keep 197 in my Five Seven and PS90, if I ever needed either gun for self defense.

·
Registered
227 Posts
With the PS90, I lean more towards Baca's BAP111 round for self defense, since I carry it in my car. I want it to be able to go thru car glass and doors and then go thru people.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Iraq Ninja said:
With the PS90, I lean more towards Baca's BAP111 round for self defense, since I carry it in my car. I want it to be able to go thru car glass and doors and then go thru people.
Those are aftermarket rounds. Personally, I'd rather stick with "official" rounds for self defense purposes. Granted, it isn't like you reloaded them yourself. So one could make the argument that you might not find yourself on the witness stand where you used your own "reloads" to shoot someone. But, I still equate these types of rounds as "reloads" until they become more widely available.

I wouldn't use them for self defense, personally.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Those are aftermarket rounds. Personally, I'd rather stick with "official" rounds for self defense purposes. Granted, it isn't like you reloaded them yourself. So one could make the argument that you might not find yourself on the witness stand where you used your own "reloads" to shoot someone. But, I still equate these types of rounds as "reloads" until they become more widely available.

I wouldn't use them for self defense, personally.
Sounds like he is a LEO, they dont have the same worries we might have. Athough, why have a gun to protect yourself and not get the best ammo to do the job? I'll take the chance of having to explain myself, than relying on a less effective round.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
SS197SR has my vote. I wish it was a little bit hotter, but it will do the job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts