FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about the SCAR other than the fact that it exists and that I think I want one. But has it been fielded with any (world) armed forces yet? My opinion on a good wepons system demands that it (and it's manufacturer) has seen combat and gotten the thumbs up by the grunts. Thanks for any info! :cool:

·
Registered
161 Posts
It has probably seens some action in Afghanistan and Iraq while it was being tested by SOCOM on a limited scale but as far as I know it has yet to be introduced to the units. I read that this could happen this summer. I think it's very unlikely that other countries have adopted it since it was a project for SOCOM. Maybe some Belgian soldiers have played with it but that's probably about it. Exports, if it happens will probably take some time. The MK48 is currently sold by FN as the Minimi 7,62MM but that took some years as well. But hey who knows. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
:grin: The SOF Combat Assault Rifle[1], or SCAR, is a modular rifle made by Fabrique Nationale de Herstal (FNH) for the U.S. Special Forces. It emerged as the winner of a US SOCOM competition to find a new rifle for special forces begun in 2003. Other competitors included entries by Colt and the Robinson Arms XCR(disqulifed becuase it couldn't attach a blank adapter). Heckler & Koch had submitted the XM8 as a general issue replacement for the M4 and M16 for the US Army, but the program was canceled.
Operations Command (SOCOM) to satisfy the requirements of the SCAR competition.During the test, the SCAR suffered 226 stoppages ranking second to the XM8 with 127 stoppages and 11 major ones, but less compared to the M4 with 882 stoppages and the HK 416 with 233. This test was identical to two previous systems assessments that were conducted using the M4 Carbine and M16 rifle at Aberdeen in 2006 and the summer of 2007 before the third limited competition in the fall of 2007. Results from the second test resulted in a total of 307 stoppages for the M4 after lubrication was increased, but did not explain why the M4 suffered 882 stoppages with that same level of lubrication in the third test.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
devildoc, where'd you hear that? I know a guy who would love that info if you could provide it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Here is this, but it is limited to MARSOC.

Testing/Limited Use

M32 Multiple shot Grenade Launcher test modelMarines with MARSOC, Force Reconnaissance, and MEU(SOC)s occasionally use specialized weapons that the rest of the fleet does not. In addition, some weapons are tested and evaluated in select units before acceptance and large-scale adoption. In a few cases, older weapons are brought out of retirement for limited use.

Active Denial System - in evaluation
Strider SMF - MCSOCOM Detachment One only
Kimber ICQB - MCSOCOM Detachment One only
Heckler & Koch MP5 - MARSOC and Force Reconnaissance only
FN SCAR - in evaluation for MARSOC
Masterkey - in evaluation
M60E3 7.62 mm Machine Gun - Special operations
M79 grenade launcher
M32 Multiple Grenade Launcher - in evaluation

1 - 8 of 8 Posts